New Powerplant

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
theManiac

New Powerplant

Post by theManiac »

Someday soon... Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Standard or reverse rotation?
theManiac

Post by theManiac »

It's reverse-rotation. I bought it a few years ago, just as it looks in the photo for $250.00. It had a major sounding tick(s). So I adjusted the valves & checked it over & #5 cylinder was fairly low on compression. I went ahead & installed it on the Manx to check it out further, fired it up & it sounded great. During my test drive, #5 intake valve seat broke a chunk out & it bounced around the combustion chamber violently before I could shut it off. It took out the piston, cylinder & chewed the combustion chamber up real bad. I tore it apart & checked everything out, bought a piston & cylinder & had major work done on both heads. The bad combustion chamber was all welded up, machined & handworked to match the others & in both heads... all new valve guides, all new valve springs/retainers/keepers, all new deep intake seats & 1 exhaust seat, as they were already the deep type. All new intake & exhaust valves too. These heads had been deflashed & ported & polished, so I figured they were worth saving & doing it right. The engine came with a new Holley 390cfm 4bbl carb, a electronic conversion in the distributor, a OTTO deep cast aluminum 2 piece oil pan & a set of headers with Super-Trapp mufflers. With it on the Manx, it was scarey quick!!! I have everything to put it back together, however health problems in the last couple years have kept me from re-assembling it. That is about to change though, as I'm doing much better & am anxious to get back out in the garage.
Gary1719

motor

Post by Gary1719 »

Hey is that thing a HEMI! LOL looks like a cool motor.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

On 164 cu.in. engines, especially the 140hp, they're very careful to be sure the harmonic balancer is good. http://www.dalemfg.com/corvairharmonicbalancers_001.htm
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Looks nice, What's it replacing?
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
theManiac

Post by theManiac »

It is going to replace the most dependable 1600cc VW engine ever!!! I've driven the 1600 about as hard as possible, on & off road!!! When it won't gain anymore rpms is when I shift!!! It has 73,000 miles on it & as hard as I've driven it, it's probably compareable to having 150,000 miles or more!!! I only change oil about every 10,000 miles, though I change the spin-on oil filter about every 5000 miles!!! It has "zero clearance" steel pushrods & I only adjust the valves about every 10,000 miles or so!!! It is a basically stock 1600cc with dual Kadrons, 1.25 ratio rockers, a Tri-Mil BobTail Quiet-Pack exhaust & the engine case is full-flowed!!! I actually have a list of about 8 guys that have expressed an interest in buying it, but I'm going to build a little lightweight sandrail that I'm going to install it on!!! Hopefully the Corvair will be as dependable!!!