VW Bus Taillight dimensions?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
newmanx59

VW Bus Taillight dimensions?

Post by newmanx59 »

Does anyone know the dimensions of a 1962-1971 VW Bus Taillight? I'm thinking of using them on my next buggy project. Image
Gene-C

Light Dimensions

Post by Gene-C »

Hey Jerry... I just measured the ones on our 1971 Bus & "outside edge to outside edge" of the chrome bezel, it's 6 9/16" tall & 4 3/8" wide. The rubber seal that goes under it sticks out about another 1/8" all the way around. I've seen several buggys with the Bus taillights & they do look sharp. Have Fun, Fun, Fun... ManxManiac
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Thanks Mr. Maniac! :D
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

There is a problem with using bus tail lights on the rear of your buggy, I had a set on my buggy. When fitted to the sloping rear of the body, they point up into the sky rather than straight back as a set of Beetle lights would do. Therefore they are not as bright, to following vehicles, as you would like them to be. May I suggest brighter than standard globes to compensate? That is is what I did.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I don't plan on putting them on a Manx, the tailight mounting surface on the buggy body I'm using is more vertical then the Manx. Image
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Jerry, Are you starting that before the Siggy. Inquiring minds want to know?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

This buggy is going to be a fundraiser. I have been out of work for over a year and I have enough parts laying around to build a buggy so why not? It will help pay the bills and maybe I can get someone local to buy it so there will be another buggy in the area. The Siggy still needs requires major capital to collect the rest of the needed parts for the engine. 3 litre ,turbo EFI, type 1 engines don't come cheap :D Needless to say it's on the back burner for now.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I can understand that.... I look forwad to seeing the progress.