berrien buggy steering column support & windshield insta

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
clous16

Post by clous16 »

Has anybody used the steering column support & windshield installation kit from berrien buggy. I have a berrien body and Want to know if it is worth it. Any good things or bad things anyone has run into with it. How hard is it too install. Thank you, Toby
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

yea, what he said!!!
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

We used the steering column support on my friend's Nostalgia. It is a nicely made piece that fits well. I would weld the telescopic tubing once the unit is installed, I don't trust the set screws that Berrien supplies. But then there are many people that install them just as Berrien supplies them.
jr_vw2

Post by jr_vw2 »

kind of like this. same idea anyway. you can check out my buggy pics for more pics of the column suport i use. I made it out of some fence post....LOL Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The best one around was the type Bruce designed for the Signature Manx. Call Winnie at the club and see if she has any left. If you can't get one of those then make sure that whatever you use has a pair of steel uprights, one on each end. They need two holes in the upper end of the upright for two hood/windshield bolts on each side and a third hole at the bottom for a bolt to attach the whole assembly to the body. The cross tube shouldn't be too big of diameter or it will interfere with the cable coming out of the speedo.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Here are a couple pictures of an original Manx under dash crossbar with the top ABS dash mount angle cut off. It would only take a few minutes to make one. Image Image There are a few more pictures at this link... http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album224?page=1
clous16

Post by clous16 »

Thanks to everyone who posted, I would make my own but I don't have the time, I did order one from berrien buggy today. Thanks again for the replies. Toby
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I'm not sure if a Berrien one would fit an Imp as they were a one-off and not Manx derived like most other kits.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
90volts

Post by 90volts »

jeremy, are you sure thats bolted on there right? i was told by berrien that the bars on the end mount to the hood and windshield. so shouldn't they be pointing upward rather than toward the firewall?
jr_vw2

Post by jr_vw2 »

Tha support in the pic is home made not a berrien unit
90volts

Post by 90volts »

ahh, looked like the berrien. cause from the assembly instructions i have been trying to figure out how the windshield ties in. they say it does but i just haven't been able to picture it from the pics in the instructions.i haven't found anyone who has used it yet with a decent description or pics. so if anyone has - it would be appreciated. otherwise i'll figure it out and post them myself :D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Ok guys, I just installed my brace this weekend. I am now an expert. :D :D This thing installed in 15 minutes tops!!!!! Follow the enclosed instructions, trust them, and bada bing its finished. The brace does not tie in the winshield to the brace, but could be easily modified to do so. I did not mount my column in the stock location but rather I dropped it below the dash for a more relaxed driving position. I should have took pics but I did not. I can later this week when I pull the hood again. It mounts just like Jeremy's brace except the ends have eyelets on them to be able to adjust the brace up and down. Here is the position of the column. Image and me dreaming....and wishing Image MURZ
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

The buggy looks sweet Murz. Where did you get the dash and hood? Seems I am in the need for one and I really like the design.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

It is a berrien buggy.
Dune-Buggy-Archives

Berrien support....

Post by Dune-Buggy-Archives »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid"]I'm not sure if a Berrien one would fit an Imp as they were a one-off and not Manx derived like most other kits.[/QUOTE] The support we sell from Berrien is adjustable in design for different width buggies. The windshield size on an Imp and Manx are with a 1/4" depending on years so I would figure the dash is close too. John [img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/JOHNSH%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][font=Arial Black]Image [center][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Berrien's Steering Column Support & Windshield Installation kit, comes with all the instructions & hardware needed to support a steering column, wiper motor & securely install a dune buggy windshield. [/center] [center][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The steering column support bar is adjustable, so it will fit most fiberglass buggy bodies.[/center] [center][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]$60.69[/center] [center][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sales tax & shipping not included[/center] [font=Arial Black]