First Build thread of 2015 and of the new Forum - Loretta

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
abgiles

First Build thread of 2015 and of the new Forum - Loretta

Post by abgiles »

So, Joe had another great idea on Loretta's build. Since it's a brand new year, a new Manx Club forum, and a new build, why not combine them all here? Sounded like a great idea.

I'll be copying and posting the comments from the place where I had previously posted when I got her, and see how it goes from there. Joe will be updating it as he progresses, and I'm sure you'll be amazed by his work. It's absolutely incredible.

Hope you enjoy!

Brian
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manxvair

Re: First Build thread of 2015 and of the new Forum - Lorett

Post by manxvair »

Great idea, let's go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Guys (and Gals), sorry if you thought you were going to see a chick here doing a build thread on her buggy, but it's just me.

Loretta is my Manx that I'm going to be doing a full build on (over the next few years).

I originally started on the orange Manx that you see in Wesley's build, but shortly after purchasing that one, I found Loretta close to home, and she was running and driving. I rushed into the purchase, sold the orange one to Wesley, as I had been helping him find one for himself, and realized shortly, that the body on Loretta was not nearly as nice as the one I sold off. No regrets though!

This is how I bought her. In the below picture, you can see that somebody either had doors in her, or tried to modify her to have doors. The sides have been bolted back in, but eventually I will glass them back in.

A few more pictures:

As far as I and the previous owner knows, she sports a stock 1600dp with dual Kadron 40's.
Last edited by abgiles on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I spent the first two weeks fighting oil leaks. I tightened the case bolts (yes, case bolts... some weren't even finger tight), changing the oil, filter, and oil screen, and replacing some pushrod tubes (yes, I used the spring loaded ones). While I didn't get all the leaks stopped, it slowed enough to live with to drive until I swapped out the motor during the building stage.

During the process, found a broken rocker arm wavy washer, and had to fix that too. Glad I found it when I did, before any damage occurred.

Since I got her just a couple of weeks before Manx on the Banx, and didn't have much time to drive her before heading out, I was a little nervous. Had only about 10 miles on her before taking her over to Kill Devil Hills, NC for a week long dune buggy event.

I was extremely nervous about driving her around for a week and being as far away as 75 minutes from our starting point without any test drives. I did have the fortune of having another 65 dune buggies with me, knowing that I'd have plenty of help if she had any issues.

I was elated that she performed admirably during the week, and aside from having to tighten up one front wheel bearing, she ran great, and never let us down!

As for this last picture, an explanation of her name. A few people stated that her front bumper looked like lips, and one member here MONOMANX made a statement of Hot Lips Houlihan (Major Margaret Houlihan) from M*A*S*H. Since Margaret is out of the question due to personal reasons, Loretta was quickly adopted, and has stuck. As much as I would like to change out the front bumper for either an authentic Manx front bumper, or a custom one, I can't. That would take away her signature, if you will.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I had planned to start her upgrades as soon as MOTB was over, it's just way too nice here to stop driving her so soon. My timeline has been altered also, since I've had the fortune of having struck a deal with JOESCOOLCUSTOMS to have some custom pan and rollcage work done on the other chassis I have.

I'm determined to keep an IRS/balljoint chassis, and wanted to have a stronger chassis, and he's agreed to do the work during January. So thankful that he was able to work me in. If you follow these threads at all, you know his work, and it's superb!

Now I can drive her to a local event on November 22nd, and start dismantling her the next day.

Since I can't really do much to her until then as far as making progress, I've been getting some parts together.

I purchased a set of 914 seats and tracks at MOTB from Vince, and have just ordered some custom seat covers for her.

I've also ordered the ordered the Unique Parts Bigfoot Extended Clutch Pedal Shaft Kit http://unique-parts.com/?wpsc-product=e ... edal-shaft, and the Speed Ball Accelerator Upgrade Kit http://unique-parts.com/?wpsc-product=a ... fits-67-79, since I have previously suffered from both of the issues these correct.

I'll be adding more pictures of the dismantling, and Joe will be adding posts of his progress as he builds the chassis and rollcage. Can't wait to get started!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

After enjoying a couple of extra weeks of fun in the relatively warm climate we've had in SC, I can't put off the dis-assembly any longer. I have to get her ready to roll up to WV in a month, and with heading home every weekend to see my family (buggy is at my work location with me), I only have 3 or 4 hours a couple of days a week to work on her.

I know some of you may say it could never take this long to get one disassembled, or could do it in just a few hours, but I'm taking my time, trying to label and sort all of the parts as they come off, and label every wire as I pull it off a connection.

I started by removing the non-factory roll bar, removing the seats, and then removing the carpeting.

The pans are in pretty bad shape, but it still took quite a bit of time to remove all of the carpeting.

I started removing some of the wiring, and labeling every wire as I did so. I have a Brother Label Maker, and special wiring labeling tape. It's supposed to be more flexible and withstand the elements. Won't see anything but cold, so not sure if it was needed, but it was very inexpensive on Amazon ($7/tape compared to $24/tape at Staples).

Start of the disassembly. Seats and roll bar removed:

Carpeting coming up, and removing some of the factory tarboard that was still underneath the tunnel section. Yes, that's plywood in front of the seat rails. Not sure why it was there, but it was in the front section of both sides. If you think that's weird, wait until you see the photos of the underside, and the aluminum plating holding the pans together.

Last edited by abgiles on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

submitted by a new great friend Jeff:
Glad to see you two are getting better acquainted. If you need any extra help let me know and I will head that way after work. Cool

Thanks,
Jeff
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Thanks Jeff! I just may be doing that depending on how fast this goes. We also need to do lunch again soon!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Work and the calender distribution took a lot of time off my plate, but I finally was able to get back on track. Still have a bit of work to do before she heads up to West Virginia in a few weeks.

After labeling wires for a number of hours, and meticulously writing down each and every connection, I started pulling some of them through, just to find out that about half of them had improper splices, nicks and cuts, and were just plain unsafe. Thankfully I hadn't labeled all of the ones under the dash yet, because I realized that I've wasted a lot of time, since I will now be ordering a new wiring harness. I only plan to do the build once, so I want it to be correct.

Thankfully, taking her apart hasn't been too bad, but it's definitely going slower than I wanted. I'm making progress though!

Here's how I started the night.

Here's how I finished it.

While it doesn't appear to be that much gained, a lot is what you don't see. All of the wiring is disconnected from all of the lights, the hood screws are gone (hood is ready to be removed once I call Jeff to come help me), all the body mounting bolts are unbolted. I have to do a couple of more checks, but the body is ready to come off.
Last edited by abgiles on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

VWBOWTIEMAN wrote this response:
Hey Brian
Look at Rebel Wiring harness for VW Bug Deluxe
http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-product ... ire%20Kits
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

JOESCOOLCUSTOMS wrote this response:

In addition to the 380 feet of DOM tubing I bought right before Thanksgiving, I went yesterday and bought 40 foot of flat stock and 48 foot of boxed tubing.

So, I should be in good shape to get started once Loretta is here!

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone

Member of Wagenfolks
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870707.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479740
Last edited by abgiles on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Getting very excited about it! Can't wait to come see your workshop!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

JOESCOOLCUSTOMS wrote this response:

Uhhmmmm ...... my shop is a freaking mess right now. Just ask David.

I will have to clean it up before you get here so you do not get dirty just walking in the door.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone

Member of Wagenfolks
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870707.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479740
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Believe me, I won't judge the cleanliness of it!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Now that the holidays are over, I was finally able to get back to work on Loretta. I'm in a unique position that makes it hard to get things done, but now that the new year is upon us, I am more determined than ever to keep on plugging away.

I work 250 miles away from my house, and travel home each weekend. Loretta is with me at my work location, and the guy that I rent my weekday room from has allowed me to have a part of the garage (although a small part) to keep and work on her. It has good a bad points. The good is that one of his best friends is an out of work ASE mechanic that stores his entire automotive tool set at the house, so I have just about every tool known at my disposal. The bad is that with his GTM Supercar kit car in progress, all his parts, all of my parts, his yard equipment, and Loretta, there's barely room to move in the garage, let alone put parts as they're taken off. I'm constantly having to move things just to have access, so I'm literally doing everything I can think of on one side, then the other.

I wanted to get the engine and trans pulled last night, but I had no idea of how long it takes a gas tank (yes, nearly full) to gravity drain via the small line by the motor. It drained for 3 hours at it's mighty trickle, and I got about 4.5 gallons out. That will be the first thing I start tonight. Still have a few gallons left.

I did get all the electrical removed, the hood off, the front bumper (her lips), numerous body mounting bolts (although a few will be left for the tow up to WV), the plates holding the pans to the plywood that was installed (yes, plywood bolted with about 30 bolts to each side of the pans), horns, speedo cable, etc... removed. Once the gas has finished draining tonight, I figure I've got just a couple of hours left. All I really need to do is remove the motor, trans, axles and gas tank, and she'll be ready to roll.

There is a actually a little more done that the photos show, as I continued to work and didn't take final pictures when I was done.

Last edited by abgiles on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436