Shingles (Not the Roof Type)

When it's just not buggy related.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

I recently came down with Shingles.   Most people get Shingles as a rash over half their upper torso but mine had the appearance of two quarter sized insect bites on the right side of my face.  The doctor indentified it as Shingles and prescribed an anti-viral medication.  Getting vaccinated for Shingles was on my "To do list" but it didn't get done in time.

If you've had Chicken Pox, you're a candidate for Shingles.  After having Chicken Pox the virus lies dormant in your body until it strikes years later as Shingles.  It usually happens when you're older but my son in law got it when he was forty.  If you qualify as a candidate, may I suggest you get a Shingles vaccination.  While the vaccination is not 100% effective, if you do get Shingles, it's usually a mild case.   Many pharmacies offer the vaccine but I'm told Costco Pharmacy has the best price. 

More information:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/infect ... ml#v788835
Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
louisb

Post by louisb »

I had shingles as a kid and I remember it being very painful.

--louis
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Both my wife and my brother have had shingles in the last two years. Needless to say after seeing the pain they went through, I went and had my shingles shot. Diana says to go get some L-Licine for the pain. She says it cuts the pain in half. Hers lasted at least a month. Get over it quick...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Gary,
Thanks for the advice.  So far, the pain has been handled with ibuprofen.  I got started on the anti-viral medication early so, things are looking better after just one week.  Since I can't shave the right side of my face, I've become a gray beard. 
Ed
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Ed,
Let it grow on both sides......!

Bob
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

towd dude wrote:Ed,
Let it grow on both sides......!