Save the Manxclub

When it's just not buggy related.
DosPerrosMotorsports

Re: Save the Manxclub

Post by DosPerrosMotorsports »

lastmanx wrote:dos perr-- awe its to long. obviously it would not apply.
obviously................. :shock: :shock:
Last edited by DosPerrosMotorsports on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

"saw pic of you "inspecting" his tunnell-car @ Pismo, & with ALL the "HATE" you are STILL HERE........ALIVE!!"

Bill, Is that mean't as a threat?
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
DosPerrosMotorsports

O MY GOD!! THIS is how you THINK????.......was saying that YOU think Bill "HATES" you & IF so COULD have been hostile, BUT neither Bill OR Frances said OR did anything that could in anyway be deemed "OFFENSIVE" even to people who are "ANTI" Did EITHER of my friends say OR do anything to OFFEND you there ???

5189........do EITHER of them, look,,,,,,,(wait for it)...........THREATENING ???? :crazy: :crazy: (YES...they knew he was there)
Last edited by DosPerrosMotorsports on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DosPerrosMotorsports

It seems that with YOUR _______ way of thinking, his "signature-line"......:"SEE YA" ON THE TRAIL" is also a "THREAT".....feeling SORRY for "your-hate" Mr. Dario..... :cry: :cry:

see ya' on the trail................................ :shh:
DosPerrosMotorsports
..... Design & Prep.....
....Air-Cooled only....

VWF-FVW

1172x
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I'm not the one filled with hate, Of course they knew I was standing there, I approached Bill and Francis and complimented him on his build and asked him how it was running, I asked him a suspension question too, but he seemed to be in a hurry to leave and he didn't answer my question.
I'm not offended, I don't hate Bill or Francis, I buggy on!
Peace Out!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Back on topic; lastmanx - I'm member 4880 and my wife and I have been around just over 2 years. We purchased a complete buggy in Riverside that turned out to be a real "pre-tag" Manx. I didn't build the buggy but in the last 2 years have turned it into a comfortable and reliable buggy that has been to Pismo, Glamis, Tahoe, Baja, and so many other off road locations. Also, driven on a regular basis just because the weather is always nice here. We love the club, its members, and all the buggies (no matter the brand or powertrain). A good portion of the members we have met are more like family and would give you the shirt off their back if it was needed. As for the Forum vs. Facebook; I was using the forum at first but found the response time for questions was some what slow. Post the same question on Facebook and within an hour; the question would be answered and the feedback was great. We are in deep now, my wife has a Tow'd and we just picked a 1 owner all original Mini T that my daughter wants.

The club has offered so much Good that I try to give back when possible and be involved when needed.

lastmanx; You are on the east coast, when was the last club event that you attended?
John & Sonya Kieslich
DosPerrosMotorsports

lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

John & Sonia, I have never attended a Manx club event. The closest to me would be the Manx at the glen, but the host motel bans dogs, and Sally the dune buggy dog III would be pissed if we left her home. Other hotels in that area allow pets: but it seems all the action is at the main host motel, so we would miss a lot. I long ago have a buggy philosophy to "get real" about my buggys. It means I don't pretend it is a race car, (top speed 70 mph eventually). So driving a high speed race track is of no interest to me. I don't do the pirate flag thing because i'm not a pirate.I don't chrome it all out, because it makes the motor run hot and is to hard to keep clean after a salty beach trip. Driving the back roads of NY is similar to my local area as well. Driving to the Manx on the Banks is nice but is on hard pack sand that any car can handle. So it is of no interest. I have a real off road soft sand beach area within a 3 hours drive from my house I enjoy more. Some day I may attend an event, when money and time allow. Thanks for the reply to the actual question. I know this site is barely used, which is why it takes long for responses, which is why I post the questions in the first place. Don't get me wrong when I was a newbie 27 years ago I did pretend I had a fast race car, and put cheap chrome on that rusted instantly, and had the scull and cross bones thing, but I grew out of it. I of course envy you because you live close to diverse off road areas. Buggy on and keep smiling.
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

DosPerrosMotorsports wrote:5191

Bill as far as I know, we have no issues between us. I'm a big fan of your early pan Manx.
so not sure what you mean by posting the above picture?
John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

lastmanx wrote:John & Sonia, I have never attended a Manx club event. The closest to me would be the Manx at the glen, but the host motel bans dogs, and Sally the dune buggy dog III would be pissed if we left her home. Other hotels in that area allow pets: but it seems all the action is at the main host motel, so we would miss a lot. I long ago have a buggy philosophy to "get real" about my buggys. It means I don't pretend it is a race car, (top speed 70 mph eventually). So driving a high speed race track is of no interest to me. I don't do the pirate flag thing because i'm not a pirate.I don't chrome it all out, because it makes the motor run hot and is to hard to keep clean after a salty beach trip. Driving the back roads of NY is similar to my local area as well. Driving to the Manx on the Banks is nice but is on hard pack sand that any car can handle. So it is of no interest. I have a real off road soft sand beach area within a 3 hours drive from my house I enjoy more. Some day I may attend an event, when money and time allow. Thanks for the reply to the actual question. I know this site is barely used, which is why it takes long for responses, which is why I post the questions in the first place. Don't get me wrong when I was a newbie 27 years ago I did pretend I had a fast race car, and put cheap chrome on that rusted instantly, and had the scull and cross bones thing, but I grew out of it. I of course envy you because you live close to diverse off road areas. Buggy on and keep smiling.

You have been in the hobby many more years than I; that said, I think you are missing the point of a Manx Club event. The activities are designed to give all drivers a variety of terrain or destinations to enjoy on a designated run (west coast). The bigger take away from the events and runs is the "Camaraderie" at each stopping point and before/after/during the actual event. Events are about socializing with like minded people. None of our buggies are pretty or fast and I'm ok with that and don't feel I have ever been judged based on what type of buggy I drive. I also see a lot of buggies with modifications that do not appeal to me; but that's ok too, this hobby was/is about building a kit car to the owners specs and style. So, sing up for an event and you just might be pleasantly surprised.
John & Sonya Kieslich
DosPerrosMotorsports

jhkinca wrote:
DosPerrosMotorsports wrote:5191

Bill as far as I know, we have no issues between us. I'm a big fan of your early pan Manx.
so not sure what you mean by posting the above picture?

No John.....no problems with you & the other 99% of the MC members......just NOT a fan of the direction the current regime is taking the org... :roll: :roll: .....Pic reflects that our Boss, has been BANNED.... :cry: :cry:
DosPerrosMotorsports

lastmanx wrote:Who is the Manxclub? It is my understanding at most times there are only about 900 active PAID members per year. Who are they? How many are newbies with real need, how many only wanting to attend Manx club EVENTS, How many who built their own buggy, How many who paid to have their buggy built? How many who drive their buggy to their local ice cream shop and won't cross town lines? How many who carry a surf board; but can't surf and are nowhere near the ocean? I am member #965 and when I joined it seemed members where just discovering dune buggys and just building them. We had a news letter with informative articles in black and white. I joined online a few years ago. This site is mostly unused today as the cell phone based facebook site is. I don't have a cell phone, nor plan to, as i'm a cheap old curmudgeon. I plan to drop my wifi when it runs out next month as well. I just don't get enough use per cost out of it. Members drop out each month. But new members join each month as the 900 active paid membership remains constant. There has been a sorta divide within the club between street verses off-road buggys which I propagate and is just silly since: tire size is the only difference , tall tires with the same buggy and you have clearance for off-road. The news letter today is all glossy but just repeats Manxclub events, and advertises coming events arriving past early registration dates. I have thought of not renewing after hearing about the secret buggy raffle: winners being drawn secretly months ahead of reveal. An obvious trick to maintain renewal. It worked on me. But for $30 bucks a year it doesn't really mater. I can still afford it. So I feel the 900 active members may have a different demographic than I had when I joined. My demographic built their own buggy as cheaply as possible. Me in particular built in Y2K a completely new Manx all mail order, to see if it could be done . I had planned on doing a story on it recommending which companies offered good services and which did not . they all failed and the experience was stressful. The Manx was built complete in one year as a zero mile Manx. It cost $15,000 in parts and shipping. $5,000 in labor if I paid myself and others in cash rather than beer,vices, and favors. Yes I built a $20,000 dollar Signature Series Manx all by mail order. It was more money than I expected, but the buggy has lasted 18 years, and 18 beach seasons. It has 43,000 miles. No major rebuilds. So who is the Manx club today and where does the future go? Or does it even matter? I'll renew but participate by reading the news letter only. I am privileged to live close to the Atlantic ocean and am still the last Manx on Race Point Beach. I have driven it before the Manxclub existed and will do so in the future.

Larry, I will give you my take on your questions.. I am "former member " # 959, joined in 1998. I BOUGHT our "OldManx, from a customer of our auto repair business & have serviced/worked on it since built in 1965,car was built by "local-legend" ROGER SMITH, of PEPPERTREE AUTOMOTIVE. Our "OldManx" is an off-road car, thru & thru !! Have attended MOST MC events, up until the the "change" to "resort-camping" NOT what I am into........prefer dry-camping in the desert, personally.. :roll: Also just FYI....our "OldManx" according to Bruce, is "the oldest pan-Manx he has seen!!"

In MY way I try to keep it in the essence that it was designed....a SHORT wheelbase, VW (1600cc single-port) powered, OFF-ROAD vehicle, no chrome, NO monster engine, NO multiple carbs, NO EFF'N RADIATOR! This car has been in ALL types-o-terrain that Calif. offers & has done so WITHOUT breaking down!! In this I take GREAT pride...I work @ HOME...NOT in the desert/ mountains/sand dunes !!

I MAY reinstate my membership, IF & WHEN the majority of the org. have been listened to, as to what THEY prefer !! Mr. Dario wrote...." I don't hate Bill or Francis," FYI....her name is spelled F R A N C E S ........."is" is the MALE form... :oops: :oops:

BILL SCHUSTER, aka OldManx
owner @ DOS PERROS MOTORSPORTS

DosPerrosMotorsports
..... Design & Prep.....
....Air-Cooled only....

VWF-FVW

1172x
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

John & Sonia, I get that its about the camaraderie of the shared experience of like minded people. I would love the west coast off road events but can't afford it. the events close to me are not like minded for me. I have written articles for the Conn. Volkswagen Association club newsletter about New England area buggy bodies and the beaches still allowing use, back in the 1990's. The club took a regime change and direction change to VINTAGE VOLKSWAGENS only (1950 stock) so I left. Bob Dorr the former club president loved buggies, the new did not. another club out of new Hampshire formed THE BUG CLUB. they focus on street buggies and any VW. I know the founders as they helped me in my newbie years, but they know me as that off road guy and have for years. I've done this for centuries and built, restored, rebuilt, a dozen buggies and kit cars. I will attend a manx event when it interests me. see you in the sand.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Bill I get what you are saying. The club has turned profitable by having these type of events. I encounter other buggy owners here that think driving on the beach is hazardous to buggies. when I tell them my buggy has done it for 18 years, they look at me in disbelief. I spoke briefly with local club member Rich Roy who is attempting to get a manx event on cape cod ma. including beach driving,(as he thinks it is the same as the hard pack outer banx. due to that event.) and was surprised at the pushback. Again who is todays Manx club. others should chime in like the surfboard carrying non surfers. see you in the sand.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

My apologies for misspelling Frances name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)