RV Holding Tank Repair

When it's just not buggy related.
Ed-Chenal

RV Holding Tank Repair

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Here is a recent experience I had that was previously discussed on the RBC Buggy Message Board.

The blackwater holding tank on a motorhome I use has had an eight inch long crack in the bottom for several years.  I've tried epoxy, silicon, and numerous glue substances to fix it.  The fix has never been permanent.  The crack would begin to leak after a short time.  I did some research and found a product that looked promising, "Plasti-Mend."  When I called their offices in Colorado, I discovered it was a small operation run by the inventor and seller of the product.  He assured me that if I followed the written instructions and the video, the product would provide a permanent fix.  I bought the basic package for $29.95 and applied it as directed.  It worked as advertised.

The Plasti-Mend uses ABS glue that has been spiked with solvents that literally melt the existing ABS and form a new bond.  In addition to the glue, the kit included an ABS cleaning liquid, application brushes and screen material that I used over the crack to reinforce the repair.  I applied three coats of the glue allowing it to dry overnight between coats.  Preparing the tank took more time than the application.  The tank must be clean and dry for the glue to work properly.  I drilled holes at either end the the crack to stop its progress.  I also drilled one hole on either side of the crack to make certain the tank was completely empty.  Then I sanded the whole area prior to applying the cleaner, glue and screen material.  I am very pleased with the results.  It saved me hundreds of dollars.
For a large baseball size hole, Plasti-Mend sells sheets of ABS to glue over the hole.  In addition, the glue can be used to reattach ABS pipe that has pulled away from the holding tank. 
This product will also repair broken ABS parts on motorcycles and quads.

http://plasti-mend.com/default.aspx
Ed
Mariabooker

Re: RV Holding Tank Repair

Post by Mariabooker »

A black water storage tank is just a reality of the RV lifestyle.Its very important is that the proper storage and disposal of black water.Here you are saying about the use of an blackwater holding tank on a motorhome.I think its good and you can use it for your use at any time. The tank must be clean and dry for the glue to work properly.Repairing is the hard work and I think it is better to replace the tank with suitable one.Repairing the tank is an option that should be considered. Some service makes more sense to go with the more profitable route of replacement.