Manxter Stuff

When it's just not buggy related.
ManxMe

Manxter Stuff

Post by ManxMe »

Hi Manx Club. I am posting this manxter related post here because there is little/no activity in the manxter forum anymore. Has anyone considered locating their battery in the front "tool tray" area under the hood? I think it would improve weight distribution a lot, but two issues come to mind: the need for a very long starter cable and the danger of fire with the vented fuel tank so close. Any thoughts? Lastly, I would like to make an appeal to have the manxter forum relocated back to within the manx club so people will visit it again. Thanks for reading...
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I have seen the battery mounted under the fuel tank on the right side on the Mendeola Manxter's. I think it was an Oddesy battery. All you will need is a positive cable from battery to starter and just ground to the chassis up front. A 4 qauge multistran cable should work. I also would like to see the Manxter forum moved back here too.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Coolrydes

Post by Coolrydes »

If you want to mount the battery up front like we do in our Manxter "S" and S2 models I can look up the correct battery group number for you because the standard group 42 will not fit. As for the battery cable, that easy. You'll need to improve the size to a zero gauge and fit grommets where ever it goes thru the body or pan. As for the chance of fire: It not very likely as long as everything is mounted correctly and installed good. Besides its not the gas itself that explodes, it the fumes.... If you want to email me at kevin@mendeolamotors.com I'll send you some pictures of how we install them and the group size for the battery.... Kevin "Coolrydes" Zagar
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Kathleen's Manxter has a Dyn-A-Bat battery mounted in the same area you are suggesting. We used their steel mounting bracket to hold it in place. We did it to free up the back seat area for storage. If I was to do it over again. I would mount it in the side pod, with two jumper terminals showing if needed. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
theManiac

Post by theManiac »

Thank goodness that battery technology has progressed to where it is now! Sure you can still buy a "lead/acid" style battery, but for a few dollars more, you can upgrade to a "gel cell" style that won't leak & can be installed in any position! It can sure make life easier!