Berrien Chassis

When it's just not buggy related.
Gary1719

Berrien Chassis

Post by Gary1719 »

How many guys are running a Berrien Chassis? I picked up mine last week i was wondering about how others have done with the assembly process.
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

Gary,,Why don't you start a build thread with some pix's,,I would love to see what you are up to ?????????,,,My self,I am building a Dave Barrett,, Manx Chassis ,, So fair not bad,,It's been fun,,,
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

There are quite a few of us running Dave's chassis. After "Gadget" in the auto mishap and I needed a new chassis Dave did one heck of a job which made my rebuild much easier I am very very happy with my chassis. I have many many pictures so please shout out with any questions
Jon

Berrien Chassis

Post by Jon »

Gary, Have been working on my rebuild for more then a couple of years. Using a Berrien chassis with a swing rear axle and a link pin front end. I'm coupling it to a Porsche 914 TYPE IV EFI engine. Check out my rebuild web site. http://home.roadrunner.com/~jpboyton/
Gary1719

pictures

Post by Gary1719 »

Guys thanks for your replys. Yes i tried to put up pictures the other day screwed that up will try again. Jon i have seen your photos before, your the reason i changed my mind on color for the frame LOL. I was going to do basic black then i saw yours and decide to paint mine the color of the body. I thought this would look better.Okay does the bracket for the brake cables bolt to the underneath of the pan to the emergency brake bracket holes. Did you buy the side pods from berrien? i heard that theirs are taller so they extend down to cover the thicker frame. I remember once long ago on this site some body had to notch there manx pods because they hit the sides of the frame. Are those 914 seats? i have seen them in a buggy before they are nice. Your gas cap in nice touch. Is that a lincoln welder you have? how does it work for you. I am running ball joint front IRS back. i haven't gotten my body down yet from its perch to see if i need to trim any thing to make the IRS work. Did you say the you used mirror finish on some of your front end parts. They look nice how are progressing.
Jon

E-Brake position

Post by Jon »

Gary, I didn't get any directions on installing the hardware with the chassis, but yes, the tubes bolt to the e-brake handle plate they supplied. I also put a rubber grommet tube clamps at the spot where the tubes leave the pan to keep them from vibrating. Side pods are from Winnie and yes they needed triming to fit over the chassis. The side frame rails show about an inch below the pods. The pods I think will be painted from purple on the bottom edge feathered out to yellow where the pod meets the body. Seats have been changed to Kirkey Alum. drag seats. And for the Lincoln wire feed welder, it works great. Other than the roll cage it welded everything on this rebuild. I don't like the powdercoat finish on the front end, but that's for another tear down over a winter, far, far, away. Jon
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

Jon,,,How much did you pay to have the chassis powder coated ??Thanks Tim
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Guys, I must be one of a few, if not the only limey to have to have a Berrian frame on this side of the pond!. Its well built and a great idea,, the downside is the problems we now face in UK getting vehicles registered with this kind of chassis, otherwise I think they would be very popular over here and across europe too. I know its crazy, because the Berrian frame seems much stronger than a shortened VW pan, but authorities have the power to make these crazy decisions,, and they wonder why we get so damn grumpy!. I spoke a while back on here about making up some kind of under-tray for mine, ya know, just a smooth FG panel that would keep out the dirt out and stop it building up on the underside and in the tunnel area. Any of you guys doing that?, I'm sure it was Gerry on here that made a flat alloy panel for his frame, could be wrong, I often am :)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Mel, Most of the Barrett chassis I've seen have 1/4" aluminum bolted on the underside as the floor. I'm building one now. It's about $100. If you can't find aluminum, then aluminium will do.
Gary1719

Under Floor

Post by Gary1719 »

Mel along time ago i think on this web site a guy made 4 panels i think that went under his berrien floor he made his flush inside the frame i think? So in a sence his frame became part of the floor. I think they were removeable. this was a nice idea any thing you do would be helpful under there i would think. And i would make it removeable. Gary
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Here is a link to the buggy I built for my Sister. It's a Berrien Nostalgia body w/ Berrien side pods on a Berrien chassis. http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/Berrien-Nostalgia
Jon

Frame paint

Post by Jon »

TIM Frame is POR 15 two part Hardnose Violet over POR 15 black and self etching gray primer. Jon
Gary1719

pods

Post by Gary1719 »

So did you have to trim the berrien pods to fit the berrien frame?