Siggy Manx steering column support?

When it's just not buggy related.
manxdavid

Siggy Manx steering column support?

Post by manxdavid »

I want to swap my Berrien support for a Signiture Manx one as I'm hoping it will be a bit more solid and lower the steering wheel a bit. Can anyone tell me how low it places the steering wheel in its lowest position? Thanks, Dave.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

I'll take a look at mine tonight. I'm not sure if I have it all the way down, but I'm using Beard seats mounted pretty much on the pan and a 13" wheel, so it is pretty low.
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

I measured mine last night and I have 22 3/4", (sorry, I only have an american tape measure), from the centerline of the steering column at the back face of the steering wheel adapter to the pan. My column is mounted in about the center of the brace and could move down a bit. The column could probably be about 2" lower at the steering wheel. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other measurements
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

It's OK, most of us Brits still think in feet and inches!!! That's great, I'll measure mine tomorrow and see if it'll do. i think it will. Thanks again.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Mmmm...mine measures about the same...maybe it's not my column that's too high, maybe my seat's too low...It does lay back a bit far, I may just have a play with the mountings before I take the hood off.
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]David, I recently used a Siggy steering support on the restoration of my 68 Manx body. My chassis has a built in 2 1/2 in. suspension lift and a 2 in. body lift. My problem was my steering column was at such a great angle it put my steering wheel to close to my windshield (screen), even with the column sitting as low as it would go. I was necessary for me to add an extenuation on the steering box with 2 universal joints on it (out of a Super Beetle). It was necessary for me to shorten the steering shaft to accommodate this extension. This put the steering wheel at the right angle and got it away from the windshield. As for length I think you could use whatever length you want according to how you fit in the buggy. I hope this helps. Bob [/FONT][/FONT]
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Thanks, I'm just going to have to give it a go, my pan and ride height are all stock. I'll just have to suck it and see...
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

[quote="Manxdavid;14776"]Thanks, I'm just going to have to give it a go, my pan and ride height are all stock. I'll just have to suck it and see...[/quote] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]That's "Suck it Up" Dave...... [/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bob[/FONT]
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

[QUOTE="Towd Dude;14778"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]That's "Suck it Up" Dave...... [/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bob[/FONT][/QUOTE]Now thats funny,,,,
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I'm sorry you've both lost me...translation issues I think...
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Dave, Your right it is a translation thing..... no offence was meant. It just seemed to me the word "Up" was left off your comment of "Suck It". The phrase "Suck it Up" means don't quit, when the going gets tough keep going. It can be applied to most any adverse situation. Ok? Bob [/FONT][/FONT]
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="Towd Dude;14784"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Dave, Your right it is a translation thing..... no offence was meant. It just seemed to me the word "Up" was left off your comment of "Suck It". The phrase "Suck it Up" means don't quit, when the going gets tough keep going. It can be applied to most any adverse situation. Ok? Bob [/FONT][/FONT][/QUOTE] I said 'suck it and see' which in 'English' means 'try it and see how it goes'. Two countries separated by a common language as they say...lol