modified brake drums

When it's just not buggy related.
croakintowd

modified brake drums

Post by croakintowd »

I'm looking for a set of Type 1 brake drums which are drilled for the Chevy bolt pattern. (5 X 4 3/4" I think)....... My buggy is using a 1970 type 1 as the donor. So Cal Imports has rears, but no fronts. Theirs are also drilled with the Ford pattern, so it has a lot of holes in them.....They have blank (undrilled) drums, also. Has anyone had a blank drum drilled? If so, How much did it cost? Anyone know of another source for VW type 1 drums with the Chevy pattern? Thanks!
Don Giovanoni

Chevy pattern

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I am running blank drums which were drilled for the Chevy pattern and fitted with studs. I believe I got them from So Cal Imports - they drilled them and put in the studs. I have been running them for 3+ years with no problems. I am careful to torque the lug nuts to 65 pounds and only run on the road. Someday they are going to be replaced with 4 wheel discs, but they have been fine so far.
croakintowd

Thanks

Post by croakintowd »

Hi Don, I guess my best bet is to call SoCal and see what the cost will be. But, I couldn't find any front drums in their on-line catalog. I'm sure they have them, I'm just pretty pathetic at "Computering".....LOL. I found a guy on TheSamba who was advertising exactly what I'm looking for, but he doesn't seem to want to get back to me about the deal. For what it's worth, I have 4 wheel discs on my buggy, with a proportioning valve, etc. They work great! But, I think I've decided that drum brakes will work as good as I'm going to need. I'll just need to get used to adjusting brakes again............LOL. Thanks for the help.
MojaveMel

Post by MojaveMel »

I changed 4 lug Vair to 5 lug chevy a while back. If you get blanks and have a chevy pattern come on up and we can drill and tap them. Price is one burrito.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Mel, Is that per stud or per wheel?