Welding Front Trailing Arms?

When it's just not buggy related.
CBDZ_CBDZ

Welding Front Trailing Arms?

Post by CBDZ_CBDZ »

I am wanted to reinforce the front trailing arms with some welded gussets. Has anybody done this at "home"? Is this something that I should leave to a professional?
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

First question I would ask is why do you want to weld a gusset on the trailing arm? The stock trailing arm are very strong and hard to bend or break. The only way I have ever bend one or broken one was when I was using them on a off road racing buggy. They make aftermarket trailing arms for link pin front ends that are stronger than stock. If you do want to add a gusset to the trailing arms use as low of heat as you can for the penitration that is needed. A TIG welder would be ideal, a MIG welder works. Arc welding also works just makes more heat.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Most off road shops (Off Road Warehouse, McKenzies, Kartek) carry premanufactured gussets that can just be welded onto your arms. If you have access to a wire feed welder and are comfortable with it, it's no problem at all.
fubar

Post by fubar »

If you tig weld them you might have better luck with a stainless fill rod. Forged steel and HRS want to get porosity with mild steel fill rod. I use 308 alloy SS rod on steel all the time.