Where to put Spare?

When it's just not buggy related.
Gigantalope

Where to put Spare?

Post by Gigantalope »

I see that many of you have a compressor rather than haul a spare along, but if you do keep a spare on your buggy, where have you chosen to place it and how? It seems like the hood would be a splendid place (Like old Land Rovers) but I don't wish to drill anything onto my rig. Any cleaver solutions?
Lee

Post by Lee »

I carry a 12VDC air pump and a plug kit, but I also carry a spare in case I shred a tire or bend a wheel. My buggy has a spare tire well, so I put it there. This means that my spare tire is really small (135/65-15), but it's round, holds air, and fits the lug pattern. Should get us back to the highway. Or mebbe even to a tire store in town. Image The plan for using the dinky spare tire is as follows: For a blown front tire, use the spare to replace it directly. For a blown rear tire, put the spare up front, and move the front tire to the back. My front tires are only an inch or so smaller in diameter than the rear tires, which shouldn't be too hard on the differential for a short distance. If you have a roof rack, just put the spare up there. It gets it out of the way, and you can use a more realistically sized tire. I only run my roof rack when I'm on a desert trip, so I needed a mounting solution that keeps the spare with the buggy at all times. You could also try laying the tire flat in the area behind the seats and make a shelf that goes on top of it for any items you want to carry. This idea is out if you have a rear seat, of course.
dennis-and-cathy

spare

Post by dennis-and-cathy »

I'm with Lee, carry compressor, and a spare, we carry ours on the top of the roll bar if its just a day jaunt, but if the roof carrier is on we put it inside of it. On the road I have to admit we don't carry a spare in any of our buggies, will regret it some day :eek: But then on the highway help is usually a phone call away. :hello: