New Manx Club

When it's just not buggy related.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

[QUOTE="MojaveMel"]They are watching. I have had responses from committee members on both sides. My favorite one, "It's like the National Enquirer out there and we're Brittany Spears!" In the end it is up to each whether they make their ID public. Will the real steerring comitee members please stand up! I don't know that any of us wants limelight lest we detract from the whole. In actuality we want to speak with one voice. We think that is important. It simplifies things if we are allowed to swap options and viewpoints among ourselves and then reach a consensus without anyone lobbying or trolling for information. We trust you can understand that.[/QUOTE] For goodness sakes, it's a dune buggy club. Everyone that pays to be a member of this club at this point really wants to be a member of this club.....For one reason or another. I applaud the people that stepped forward to offer a hand in rebuilding the club. I appreciate the time and effort. It sounds as if an intelligent approach has been decided upon and everyone is ready to move forward. (when the legal work and processes are set-up of course) So why remain anonymous? If your the type of personality that gives into lobbying and trolls, you probably shouldn't be performing this task?
Lee

Post by Lee »

I don't know if this is the right time for this, but I have a few questions I would like to throw out there. I don't really need answers, but I think they would make good discussions for the steering committee or our elected officers, whoever they will be. 1. Will the Message Board continue to be a pay site, or will it be open to the public? There are a few ways of dealing with this, and I think that the free distribution of information is vital in keeping our hobby alive. If the powers that be do not wish to return the board to a completely free site, then perhaps only members could post, but everyone could view. Another idea is to have a free section with everything else for Members Only. It would be good to discuss these (and other) options going forward. Clearly, a lot of people got turned off when the board turned into a pay site. 2. Will the Club be releasing a PDF version of each Manx Mania. It was great when we had it that way, as members around the world could get their copy immediately, plus it saves a ton on postage, printing, etc. People could still request paper copies, but I think the majority of us would be happy with a PDF version. Again, I would suggest this as a topic of discussion. 3. Regarding the Manx Registry, if you want people to put their Manx buggies in the registry, you should not make them pay in order to do so. Again, a PDF or online copy of the Registry would be enough for me, especially because you can utilize the Search feature to find specific items. Going through page after page is no fun! 4. The best way to have the Manx Store would be online shopping. I know there's cost and work involved, but there might be a Club member who can help. I honestly don't know what all is involved in this, so it might not be feasible. I realize some of these items might be redundant with previous discussions, but we lost a lot of continuity when the initial threads were broken up. We should end up with a comprehensive list of questions and issues if this thread is allowed to remain intact.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I'd vote for anyone who wanted to reopen the forums to the public. It is fun to have something to read on here again, but my interest in pollitics is way down the list when it comes to reading about buggies. And hats off to anyone who is willing to take their time to read and write rule books about it.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="Lee"] 3. Regarding the Manx Registry, if you want people to put their Manx buggies in the registry, you should not make them pay in order to do so. Again, a PDF or online copy of the Registry would be enough for me, especially because you can utilize the Search feature to find specific items. Going through page after page is no fun! [/QUOTE] Lee, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post. I'd suggest in addition to your suggestion on the registry, there should be a way to update it on-line. I know I've tried to reach out to folks in my area based on the information in the registry (which I pay for each year) and find that it is very stale. I talked to Winnie about it once and she said she depends on people notifiing her with changes. I don't think most people do or would do that. Thanks (just brain storming), Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
MojaveMel

Forum, Mania, Etc.

Post by MojaveMel »

Thanks Fubar. Lee's questions are great. It may take a day or more for everyone to get back to me on them. I think I know the answers as two of the issues have been kicked around for consideration, but didn't want to presume without asking for concensus. Bud: Good point. I read somewhere that the average person moves every four years (don't know how accurate that is). I am listed on a site with old army buggies. I have the same problem with stale info. When it is up to the individual I can't think of any way to make them update if they sell their manx and the new owner doesn't follow through. Off the top of my head, what would you think of an on-line registry for everyone? Perhaps sortable by user specified criteria. Manx or Safari or Dune Runner or folks living in Cucamonga or New Hampshire or ? could find each other. Again, info might get stale with time. Perhaps if we can make the club exciting again everyone will be more interested and up-to-date.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Well, I guess I'm speechless with this one.
I have had responses from committee members on both sides. My favorite one, "It's like the National Enquirer out there and we're Brittany Spears!"
I know how I'd like to respond, but, I don't think I want to go there.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

well, if there are members that are 'steering' the way into the next phase of the club it makes no sense for them to be anonymous. what do they need to hide? you mean we should all keep quiet and keep sending in out 30 bucks and have no idea who are making the rules? come on.. just a list of the commitee will do since we probably know them anyway right? then again, this from a 'spokesman' with a total of 9 posts. so who exactly are you? i've got my name and number at the bottom of my posts..nothing to hide here. edited: may have been a little harsh there =)
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

I know the spokesman personally, and he has been in the buggy world and the club longer than I have. The number of posts for a particular screen name is meaningless. So far as the anonymity of the steering committee, that is their choice and their right. It matters not what the steering committee comes up with, because once officials are elected, then the general membership will be able to change things whenever they get a consensus of the rest of the members as to what the rules should be. These people are volunteering for what already seems to be a thankless job, and that's on top of what they do in real life. I for one don't have that kind of time to devote, so to be inundated by countless questions and e-mails of the membership would make doing the job at hand very difficult and unappealing. If they identified themselves, and don't have time to respond to every question directed specifically to that steering committee member, people will take that as being rude, tempers will begin to flare, and that is the last thing anyone wants to happen. I think that the way they are going about the changeover is reasonable. One central contact person keeps things from getting confusing, and keeps the message on point. Once members are elected, then you can expect specific things from them. Until then, if the volunteer steering committee members want to identify themselves, great. Otherwise, give them their space and just be patient. If you still feel that strongly about contacting a steering committee member, then go straight to the top and drop a line to Winnie of your concerns. But somehow, I get the feeling you will get a quicker response here on this thread. :2cents: :drinking:
90volts

Post by 90volts »

If they identified themselves, and don't have time to respond to every question directed specifically to that steering committee member, people will take that as being rude, tempers will begin to flare, and that is the last thing anyone wants to happen.
ah yes, the anonymity thing has been working out so well. :roll:
I know the spokesman personally, and he has been in the buggy world and the club longer than I have. The number of posts for a particular screen name is meaningless.
i am glad you have the luxury of knowing who he is. and i agree about the post number under a screen name. so if he has been posting under a different screen name then... then why the change? and what was the previous screen name? maybe i will know him by that. is he 'oldmanx'? i notice he's not around any longer... or has he been banned? elected or not, these people are representing the rest of the members. that they do it voluntarily is all fine and good, but when they chose to represent the members they should have had an idea of what they were getting into and that the members would hold them accountable for their actions. so we are not going to know what the actions are until we vote on them? or who is deciding this? that doesn't seem reasonable. and i really hope that the info is posted to the newsletter to be voted on!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

At this pont, there is no mandate for accountability, nor do I expect one. The club has never been a democracy, and is not now. The future holds many promises, so I feel we should wait and see what is presented to us. As in any good republic, we will have elected representatives that will listen to our concerns, and vote as they feel they need to keep the club running. Someone has to step up to put this thing together. You know what they say about decision by committee, nothing would ever get done. So I am willing to let someone else put it together, and if there is something they come up with I don't like enough to try and change, then I will do so after the club has officially taken it's new form.
fubar

Post by fubar »

"At this pont, there is no mandate for accountability, nor do I expect one. The club has never been a democracy, and is not now." Sounds like a good foundation for a smaller club with an inactive forum to me.

Post by 1856 »

The insecurity of what?s coming is a natural element of curiosity that is based and developed in childhood as trust. The depth of of the trust is exhibited mainly as distrust by some, and at times shows our individual insecurity or innocence. How this issue plays out has yet to be unfolded. Democratic process is one of trust. At the end of the day it will be better .....I trust. Mark
MojaveMel

Post by MojaveMel »

Originally this thread was started as a place where questions about new club direction or comments for direction could be posted. Hijacked? It's Ok. Thanks guys. You have made this forum come alive again.
MojaveMel

Post by MojaveMel »

[font=&quot][QUOTE=Lee] 1. Will the Message Board continue to be a pay site, or will it be open to the public? There are a few ways of dealing with this, and I think that the free distribution of information is vital in keeping our hobby alive. If the powers that be do not wish to return the board to a completely free site, then perhaps only members could post, but everyone could view. Another idea is to have a free section with everything else for Members Only. It would be good to discuss these (and other) options going forward. Clearly, a lot of people got turned off when the board turned into a pay site. 2. Will the Club be releasing a PDF version of each Manx Mania. It was great when we had it that way, as members around the world could get their copy immediately, plus it saves a ton on postage, printing, etc. People could still request paper copies, but I think the majority of us would be happy with a PDF version. Again, I would suggest this as a topic of discussion. 3. Regarding the Manx Registry, if you want people to put their Manx buggies in the registry, you should not make them pay in order to do so. Again, a PDF or online copy of the Registry would be enough for me, especially because you can utilize the Search feature to find specific items. Going through page after page is no fun! 4. The best way to have the Manx Store would be online shopping. I know there's cost and work involved, but there might be a Club member who can help. I honestly don't know what all is involved in this, so it might not be feasible.[/QUOTE] [font=&quot]1. Re-open the forum: The web master is sending conflicting reports on whether we can use this site! (or is something lost in translation?). Even if we have to start over the answer I got is an emphatic YES. Let?s re-open. There would be a members only area for such things as the Mania (if .pdf), etc. Most folks are good people and we believe those who wander in and receive benefit will eventually be willing to help with the cost. Most folks love to give, but hate to have their arm twisted. Poor web admin response is another issue raised by some. We hope to change that too. [font=&quot]2. .pdf distribution: It?s the information age but some are still into hard copy. Some find it kind of nice to go to the mailbox and find the Mania arrived. (I?m assuming the Mania stays somewhat the same.) Winnie says many members are older and don?t have computer. Or if they do they don?t have internet. That means we almost have to go both ways at first. The first issue or two will prob be snail mail. Probably best if elected officers make this decision. [font=&quot]3. Manx Registry: Meyers Manx is retaining everything they consider proprietary. This includes the Manx Registry. Proprietary also extends to some of the merchandise in the Manx Store. I didn?t go into individual items with Winnie but one can imagine Manxter, Manx, and Tow?d parts come under that heading. [font=&quot] 4. On-line store: We would like to see the store have more buggy related merchandise. That said, on-line ordering would be interesting. Right now the focus is on more foundational issues of the new manx club; Incorporation, Forum, Mania, activities. Store is in there too, but the aspect of on-line order will probably have to wait a while. We have to walk before we run. Personally, I am getting more comfortable with on-line ordering. Still nice to talk to a real person too.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="MojaveMel"]Off the top of my head, what would you think of an on-line registry for everyone? Perhaps sortable by user specified criteria. Manx or Safari or Dune Runner or folks living in Cucamonga or New Hampshire or ? could find each other. Again, info might get stale with time. Perhaps if we can make the club exciting again everyone will be more interested and up-to-date.[/QUOTE] Personally, I think that is an outstanding idea. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing