Busted Buggy of the Month

When it's just not buggy related.
CairoManx

Busted Buggy of the Month

Post by CairoManx »

It sounds like its getting tough to get enough entries together for Buggy of the Month. Maybe BOTM should be put on sabbatical. What I think would be fun to see are all the non-running project buggies that people have just bought or that are still sitting derelict in their backyards awaiting restoration. I've got a couple and I know there's a few more around. Did anybody else see this gem on ebay recently? I thought it was fantastic. One guy said that when he saw it, he had a flashback of driving down the road in his Corvair and having the generator light come on and having to stop and replace the fanbelt. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250178588442&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D250178588442%26fvi%3D1 Image Image
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]It sounds like its getting tough to get enough entries together for Buggy of the Month. Maybe BOTM should be put on sabbatical. What I think would be fun to see are all the non-running project buggies that people have just bought or that are still sitting derelict in their backyards awaiting restoration. [/QUOTE] What a great idea,, theres something about old projects with all the war wounds :rock: Nelson, I saw that Corvair powered gem you posted and mailed it to my buddy Andy in UK > http://www.andysaunderskustoms.com/ it seemed to me the type of vehicle that belongs in his stable,,,,,,,,, not sure if he made contact with the seller but he sure liked it.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

One of the many things I really like on it are the seats. I'm sure they're out of an old Triumph or MG but the custom tuck and roll upholstery really makes them special. I wish Beard or PRP or somebody would make something like those. Maybe a seat with a suspension bottom but with the same kind of thin wrap around backs. Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Nelson, I saw that Corvair powered gem you posted and mailed it to my buddy Andy in UK > www.andysaunderskustoms.com/ it seemed to me the type of vehicle that belongs in his stable,,,,,,,,, [/QUOTE] I'll bet he saw the similarity. Image Image
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

There is a guy that makes seats like that CairoManx. Right here in My home town of kettering Ohio. His website is 2tallcustomautointeriors.com His name is Tim Kruso He is the one that done my interior. Here is some of his work in leather on my buggy.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Those look great. Does he make the frames from scratch?
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

Yes, Everthing from scratch including the back seat.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

[QUOTE="manxter10"]Very, very nice work. I am glad that you found a true craftsman.[/QUOTE] No doubt......that is a sweet interior.
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

The man takes a lot of pride in his trade. I had to wait a couple days longer than anticipated for the back seat because he had to pick up another piece of leather. He said he had enough to do the job BUT, The piece he had might not be large enough to allow him to adjust it so the seams on the back of the back seat would line up with the seams on the bottom of the back seat when they were both in place. Something I didn't think of or might not have noticed. Bit it bothered him so much so that he went and got another piece of leather at his own expense. He also told me he had called and had the supplier cut and hold him a piece because it had to come off of the same run number as the first material he had purchased. He sent a guy to Cincinnati to get it, 40 mile one way trip.
Gigantalope

Post by Gigantalope »

I had a Renault Caravelle that had similar looking seats to those in the first car. Tres Swank, Oui? I like the effect on the custome seats on the buggy, you did a great job. I nearly have my Turista going, and am in a quandry over what to do with the back seats... Cheers
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

[QUOTE="Gigantalope"]I had a Renault Caravelle that had similar looking seats to those in the first car. Tres Swank, Oui? I like the effect on the custome seats on the buggy, you did a great job. I nearly have my Turista going, and am in a quandry over what to do with the back seats... Cheers[/QUOTE] Do you have any pictures?
Gigantalope

Post by Gigantalope »

Getting a cage made just now, (They don't have pre-made ones for Turistas) but I will take some once I get it back...It has a 1914 and some nice new stuff...I've owned it since the mid '70s when I was a kid...It's been one of those "maybe-someday" projects... Unelss you mean the Renault...I have no photos of that.
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

I have two sets of these seats if any one is interested. No frame to mount them in. Not sure what they are out of, but still have original upholstery. Bob
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I'd like to see pictures of the Tourista.
Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

Looks like a nice job. Are they top stiched or pleated? Is that one of my carpets?