Ebayer selling Manx Emblems

When it's just not buggy related.
newmanx59

Ebayer selling Manx Emblems

Post by newmanx59 »

Anybody have any idea where this guy is getting these? He has another auction running right now. I can't believe what people are paying for them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0095645855 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0085872640 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0088698016 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0104612424
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Those look like they're originals from the 60s. The ones the club sells now have raised copyright marks on them. The ones that came with the kits in the 60s didn't. Maybe he has a wayback machine, or maybe he found a stash of of NOS emblems. About 10 years ago there was a guy at Pomona that had a tray full of NOS Manx plastic and Manx SR metal emblems.
Lee

Post by Lee »

CairoManx, I thought it was the other way around. The emblems that came with my Siggy Manx do not have the raised copyright symbol. Did they add that since the Siggy Manx release?
Rick Leddon

manx emblems

Post by Rick Leddon »

Lee, your right the old ones from the 60's have the r, the new ones, currently available from the club, don't have the r. Rick
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Yeah, I checked an old magazine and I think I got it backwards. That means the ones on ebay are new. If the seller can't show he bought them originally from Bruce, he needs to be shut down for violating Bruce's copyright.
tat99

emblems

Post by tat99 »

my 68 manx did come with the raised r in a circle just under the manx word and the set i bought from the club for spares did not have it . other buggy sites are talking this up also. is there any way to tell the differance on the back emblem ?
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

There was a war on here about a year ago, regarding Meyers Manx badges,, some guy even tried to adverise em on this site :eek: The ''Meyers'' Tag/Vin plate is the main thing to have because Meyers don't do duplicates of them.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]There was a war on here about a year ago, regarding Meyers Manx badges,, some guy even tried to adverise em on this site :eek: The ''Meyers'' Tag/Vin plate is the main thing to have because Meyers don't do duplicates of them.[/QUOTE] The problem with the Meyers SN Tag plate is that there are tons of "original Manxes" running around that came without the SN Tag. I can see it now, "original" Manx buggys of all shapes and sizes. All for an inflated price. After all, it has to be an original, it has the badging!
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I think the first tags were February 1968(B8). I have a 1967 vintage Meyers Manx we bought new. It never had a tag. Its been validated and put in the registry but that means I have a card for my wallet and a list with no real way to connect it with the Manx. What I'd like to see Bruce do is certify genuine Manxs and Towds that are missing tags or never had them and sell serial numbered metal tags that can be attached to the body. He'd need to only do it in person so he could thoroughly inspect it and so people couldn't just send pictures of somebody else's Manx. The owners would get unimpeachable proof their buggy is a genuine Meyers Manx or Towd. I'd gladly pay the $200 that people are spending on counterfeit badges on ebay to get a Bruce Meyers issued serial number tag for my car. I wouldn't ever sell the car but its resulting increased value would more than cover the cost of the certification.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"] What I'd like to see Bruce do is certify genuine Manxs and Towds that are missing tags or never had them and sell serial numbered metal tags that can be attached to the body.[/QUOTE] Even something like the Austrailian Manx club has seen at the bottom of this page http://www.manxclub.org/Shop.asp . I would love to have some kind of badge or tag to put on our authenticated Manx
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="vwboop"]Even something like the Austrailian Manx club has seen at the bottom of this page http://www.manxclub.org/Shop.asp . I would love to have some kind of badge or tag to put on our authenticated Manx[/QUOTE] Image Yes, a metal tag like that would be great. I hadn't seen the Australian tag before. As far as a badge, the club has new hood and rear skirt badges that they only sell to authenticated Manxs for about $40. BTW, I heard from Winnie the Australian Manx Club broke away from the Manx Club and isn't associated with it anymore.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="tat99"]my 68 manx did come with the raised r in a circle just under the manx word and the set i bought from the club for spares did not have it . other buggy sites are talking this up also. is there any way to tell the differance on the back emblem ?[/QUOTE] Here's a picture of mine with the raised R Image
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Did you do the yellow and white? It looks great. How was it done.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

There's another guy at it now... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Meyers-M ... dZViewItem I'm not sure if any copyrights are being broken or not. Not sure if Winnie knows or if someone should tell her or not... I can't see these badges originating from the Manxclub; there's too many for that. My guess is someones either reproed them or they're coming out of the back door of whoever makes them. :2cents:
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]Did you do the yellow and white? It looks great. How was it done.[/QUOTE] I painted it myself. I started by spray painting it all black; taped off the outer edges and sprayed the yellow. I hand-painted the white (filled in the small gaps between the lettering with a toothpick dipped in paint) and then took a small wallpaper roller and rolled the black over the top (the outlines) of it. I finished it off by spraying clear lacquer over the whole thing to protect it. So far it's held up very well. I did it almost two years ago. The badge you see was cracked in the upper left corner, so I ordered a new one from MC. Since I had the new one, I decided to try and repair the crack (filled the back in with epoxy and sanded it smooth) and paint the badge. It came out better than I thought it would, so I kept the original and put it back on my buggy. My biggest fear is some "hoodie" thinking it is neat and stealing it. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing