PCH, Coastal Tour

When it's just not buggy related.
Gene-C

PCH, Coastal Tour

Post by Gene-C »

I was watching the History Channel today and there was a feature on the Pacific Coast Highway. I've lived along Hwy 1in the Santa Cruz area and have traveled some of the PCH on trips and what not. The highway is a neat road to travel and the show got me thinking about a coastal run, several days, maybe a couple weeks in length. Has anyone thought of doing this? Maybe starting out in the SoCal area, stopping now and then, and collecting buggistas along the way all the way up to Washington? While I'm not in possession of a running buggy I still thought this might be a worthy run to consider for the future. Imagine driving the western coast from San Diego to Seattle in a buggy. Certainly a once in a lifetime trip. Tom McCue Roseville, Ca.
markmark

Post by markmark »

Sounds like a great run. Hopefully someone takes a camera on the run (when it happens), so us on the other side of the world can see:eat:
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

Thanks for posting this here Bill. This is also posted on the DSB and RBC forums. This has garnered much interest and it seems I'm not the only one that have considered the idea. This is bigger than one person or club and will require the full cooperation of all clubs to be a spectacular success. There are many in each club that live quite close to the intended route and even if some wish to only travel part way it can be done. Lets take the time to think this out. I'm not saying it must be done immediately or even needs to wait a few years however, careful planning and preparation is needed. Tourism stops, motel/hotel accommodations, even how far to drive each day. Lets put our collective brains behind this and research it out a bit before diving right in.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

No matter where you start everyone will have a two way trip. How about a day or so before the tour run, have a marathon convoy that starts at sunrise and tries to go the length of 101 before sunset or the length of the West Coast in one day. On the way back, run a looser more leisurely stop and shop schedule.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Sounds like a "Manx (and other) Club Power Tour" to me. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
fubar

Post by fubar »

Sounds like a good time. I would at least drive my buggy to the beach and watch the parade go by. Not be be a turd in the punch bowl, but I had to give up on making reservations for our group of 3-4 people just because it was so difficult to make everyone happy. Some people only went in fair weather, some could not get weekdays off, different standards for lodging,etc. What I do now is tell them when and where I will be and let them make their own plans.........One other consideration about the Oregon Coast is that if it does happen to be a clear day above 50' everyone from the Willamette Valley will be there too. It makes for some pretty slow going and booked rooms, campsights,etc. During the week you could probably get a room, but 20 rooms might be a problem. There are a lot of places that you can drive on the beach and some are not that well marked. The dunes with the exception of Sandlake in the Northern part of Oregon are every bit as challenging as Glamis. Pehaps more, Glamis has fewer fir trees. Plus wet sand can stack closer to vertical. I was trying to plan a trip down the coast to Mendicino/ Ft Brag sometime this summer if the money train stops at my station. Perhaps I could follow the southbound convoy?
FAKMANX

Surf Boards optional

Post by FAKMANX »

That would require some major vacation time. Definately need to confirm dates a year in advance, to give people time to schedule. Julie gets more than 4 weeks a year, but we have to spend at least 2 of them shopping:roll:, but that leaves me 2 for buggy'in!