Trans Question ?

When it's just not buggy related.
Machz

Trans Question ?

Post by Machz »

Anyone ever try a Autostick in a Manx. If so any problems.
fubar

Post by fubar »

Seems like it would be great for drag racing or rock crawling..Never seen one in a buggy though.
markmark

Post by markmark »

I have heard of a guy here in Australia who runs a type 3 auto with a Subaru engine. He hasn't reported any problems. If you had the stickshift auto from the Beetle, where would you mount the vacuum canister and trans fluid reservoir? I wonder how the switch on the gearstick for the clutch would handle the rough stuff? Would it cause the clutch to disengage when you go over bumps? The auto would be good for taking off in sand.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The problem with the Bug Autostick it's uses a clutch disc in front of the torque converter. It is only a 180mm in diameter. This the same size the was used in 1300cc and earlier engines. Trying to use a larger engine than a 1600cc or larger diameter tire will more than likely cause the disc to wear faster than normal. Over the years I have replace many clutch discs on stock powered Autostick Bugs.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Ken Trongo put a type IV automatic in his B&W (blue and white) buggy. I went on a run in it with him once, it worked perfectly. These threads from the RBC site talk about it: http://p066.ezboard.com/frbcdunebuggyfrm20.showMessage?topicID=55.topic http://p066.ezboard.com/frbcdunebuggyfrm18.showMessage?topicID=703.topic http://p066.ezboard.com/frbcdunebuggyfrm18.showMessage?topicID=692.topic
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Ken used a automatic out of a VW Bus because of the lower ratio ring and pinion then in a type III. Bus had 2 ratios 4.45 to 1, 4.36 to 1 Type IV 3.91 to 1, 3.72 to 1 Type III 3.67 to 1 There was a buggy at Lone Pine 2 years ago that had a type III automatic it it. He told me it was not really low enough geared for running in the dirt.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
markmark

Post by markmark »

The lower ratio is much better in dirt. I have a type 3 Squareback for the street and the gear ratio is great for the freeway, not dirt like you say.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I wonder how big of a deal it would be to change the stall speed in those torque converters??? That would give more rpms come launch time.
markmark

Post by markmark »

[QUOTE="fubar"]I wonder how big of a deal it would be to change the stall speed in those torque converters??? That would give more rpms come launch time.[/QUOTE] Maybe get a smaller torque converter from another 4 cylinder car. The V8 drag racing guys over here that are on a budget for example get a torque converter out of a Gemini (a 4 cylinder Holden) and fit into the their V8 auto transmission giving them a much higher stall speed. I'm not sure how reliable this would be though. It's not really an issue for those guys.
fubar

Post by fubar »

When I used to help my pops rebuild automatics it seemed like it was pretty reasonable to send the domestic (US) converters out to be rebuilt. If I remember correctly they would cut them open to do it and weld them shut when they were done. The stall speed was just a matter of changing the angle on the stator blades. Or maybe they changed the blades completely? Never seen them apart. Most of the time we would have them made into "RV converters" whatever that was. I have heard of using the old Vega(4cyl) TV's in the GM Hydrmatics for racing.