Sway-a-Way rear torsion adjuster

When it's just not buggy related.
manxter26

Sway-a-Way rear torsion adjuster

Post by manxter26 »

I'm getting ready to install the Sway-a-Way rear torsion adjuster in the pan for my Manxter project, and I used to have a link that showed the install. I thought it was BlindChickenRacing, but I'm not finding it on their site. Anybody have any ideas? I did a google search and came up empty. Any help would be appreciated. Jay
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Is this the set-up that goes in the middle of the chassis, or on the outboard ends, where the spring plates attach? If it the set that mounts in the center, I can send you a copy of the August 1984 Hot VW's article I have on how to do it. The outboard set-up is easier, the only question there is are you trying to go lower, or higher than stock? Let me know if you want that article, or any particular information out of it. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

No personal experience but I've heard the center adjuster type has been known to strip and the outboard adjuster type is more reliable. Maybe Joe knows.
manxter26

Post by manxter26 »

Tom, It is the center adjuster that I am installing. I'm trying to put my car together as a dual-sport type, not quite to the extreme as Jon's orange Manxter, but along those lines. I do want to be able to fine tune, without taking the torsions apart every time. I would appreciate it if you could email the instructions. My email is allotto@fone.net. CairoManx, I haven't heard of any of these stripping out, I have heard of them breaking loose if not properly installed and reinforced. The guy that helps me with my fab work is so anal that I don't think that will be an issue.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The issue with installing one in a stock pan is that they will usally breakout of the pan. Since the way it installs is a butt weld to the torsion housing after cutting out the center collar. Welding the forward part just to the pan sheet metal is not strong enough. It needs to be reinforced someway. All the leverage is at the forward edge. I have scene many break in racing. The best ones are the ones that are made to slip in the torsion housing on boths side and can be plugged welded and and welded around the edge. Just not very easy to do in a pan buggy. The only way I have scene them last for longer periods of time is if you use stock torsion bars. Larger diameter torsions bars agravate the problem.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
fubar

Post by fubar »

I have seen those adjustable spring plates at the store but never installed. Do they hold up?
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The adjustable spring plates hold up well. They work well for a street and in the dirt. Not as much adjustment as a centermount type, but fine for most applications. I am using the cheap Tiawanese ones with stock 22mm torsion bars. Problem with them is using a larger diameter torsion bar the splines can strip out. Material is not as strong as the in the SwayAway spring plate. Adjustment is 1 1/2" up or down depending on how you set it up when installing torsion bars.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Jay - e-mail has been sent. Both of our buggies have the "offical" Sway-A-Way brand adjustable spring plates, I know it is not the same on the street, but they have held up OK for us. We start off one notch of the torsion bar lower and keep going from there. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Tom, That is what I was trying to say is that SwayAway is quaility item that you should never have a problem with. I decided to try the cheap ones to see how long they will last. The reason off road racers do not use adjustable spring plates and go with a center adjuster is that it is weight that the shocks have to control.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I have been running the cheap spring plate in the dunes for 4 years and haven't had a problem, yet. I do have a set of Sway-A-Ways on the shelf as backup.
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

[QUOTE="Manxter26"]I'm getting ready to install the Sway-a-Way rear torsion adjuster in the pan for my Manxter project, and I used to have a link that showed the install. I thought it was BlindChickenRacing, but I'm not finding it on their site. Anybody have any ideas? I did a google search and came up empty. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE] Jay I don't know if you have the link to some of my pictures, but we put a Sway-A-Way King Kong adjuster in the Baja Maxter with the stock pan and torsion. We did quite a bit of cutting and fitting and you would definitely not want to do it with the body on, but it went in fine. Just check out the first album for the Baja Manxter build. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gotmanxjon/my_photos
manxter26

Post by manxter26 »

Jon, Thanks for the link. I had never looked thru your photos much but there is a bunch of great ideas there. I look at your stuff, then I reel myself back to reality. It's now in my favorites and I will visit it frequently. Jay