Generator / Stereo System

When it's just not buggy related.
63Fiberbuggy

Generator / Stereo System

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

My buggy's never had tunes installed, just wondering what the rule of thumb is for sizing/specing a system - - - given that I'm running the stock generator. Current electrical draws are standard headlights/turns/tail/brake, (4) gauges w/lights, so not a lot of "stuff" already in play. Any one know of a reference guide to avoid over-loading? Thanks.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

There are 2 generator that VW used on 12 volt systems. A 30 an 38 amp. Most common on a bug was the 30 amp. If you have access to a amp meter you could turn everything and check the amp to see what it is drawing. How big of stereo system are you plan on using? If you are planning on a high wattage system you may think about going to an alternator. Stock VW are rated right around 51 to 55 amps. There a larger one that have 75 and 95 amps output.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

I was looking at a modest system, (4) 6" speakers rated at 150W/each & a radio/CD/MP3 ready unit to put under seat w/remote control. I'm guessing the unit will support 40-50 watts/channel, so I might need a small booster to power the speakers up. I'm not looking for the buggy to move without the engine running from the stereo "boom", just enough to overcome road noise & exhaust for a pleasant Sunday drive. I will borrow an amp meter & check. Thanks for the advice.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

i've got the 8-track , cb and 350w amp and i'm thinking of going to the larger alt to add a couple more things like driving lights. Image
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I do not know if you are taking your buggy out into the dirt, but I do know how do and have switched to Ipods because of the dirty enviroment. A 150watt speaker will have a draw capability of little over 8amps Take wattage and divided by voltage and you come up with amperes. You may want to go to something like the 75amp alternator so it will keep up and not drain the battery. A generator will most likely not keep up with it the draw.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Mike, did I read yours correctly that you have a stock 30 amp generator and successfully run the equipment listed? What size speakers? My buggy will be street use only, so dirt not an issue. I have the amp meter on the way tomorrow at work, so should have a clear idea of what current output & usage is, so I can determine what's available. How much of the capacity is needed to keep the battery from draining? Can I "max" the calculated draws to high 20's & be ok? Thanks.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

not sure what the amp drain is on mine, but i do have the smaller alt. all the regular lighting,5 guages with all the time lighting, plus the amp and 2 small speakers up front. exiles in mini enclosures. (don't know if the quality of speaker makes a difference). but i noticed that when i hooked up my inverter into my lighter to run the christmas lights , and hit my brakes, it was enough to put the inverter into alarm from the draw. so i figured i am pretty close. i don't think i want to try driving lights without stepping up to the 50 amp alt. but to answer your question,yes, without the inverter running i have no problem keeping the battery recharged. Image Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

on inspecyion, it looks like i have the 51/55amp alt and looking at the 75amp. just wanted to straighten that out. i knew i had the smaller of two.
fubar

Post by fubar »

If you have a marine supply store you might want to take a look at what they have. I seen a cd player am/fm combo at my local fishing/boat supply place for $100. It came with two speakers, weather/water resistant , and weather band built in. They also had some cool GPS machines. I am not sure about amp load on a radio, but you can leave a radio playing a lot longer than you can leave your headlights on without killing the battery. If you want to cook your generator, throw a couple 300 watt landing lights on it. I have never heard a motor idle down when someone turned on a stereo...My glass buggy has 8 headlights (non HID ) and a 100amp Delco , the motor slows down quite a bit with the lights on, fans etc.
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Found an amp meter, but it only measures AC, not DC. Back to the calculation board... This should be so difficult, tried several stereo shops, but no one seems to have the answer.....