starter going south

When it's just not buggy related.
90volts

starter going south

Post by 90volts »

looks straightforward- unbolt , pull out , replace and bolt. right? get a buzz when trying to turn it over on occasion. a little bang to the solenoid/starter and it turns over. juice looks good on the guage. thinking of going with a hi torq. anyone use this ? http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C10%2D5790 looks especially good with the overstock price.
Buggy-Bum-2

Post by Buggy-Bum-2 »

Take it back out and go get a new one. The starter has a dead spot in it. As cheap as they are, its easear to replace the whole thing, Starter@solinoid. Just a stock one,that ad is nutsThis way you know the whole thing is new and you won't have any problems. You missed a good day over the pines, found a new play area,its called MT. MISORY. One big sand pit, the size of a football feild. Should have pics up in aday or two.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

how about rebuild? i was thinking of rebuilding mine to have on the shelf for the future.and just for the experience of doing it. and thanks for the info on the hi torq vs stock. is there a place to pick up a good quality one as good as stock that anyone would care to recommend?
fubar

Post by fubar »

I use the lifetime warranty Bosch starters in my Pinto and Toyota engine buggies. I have only had one go bad and it was more to do with pilot error on the bushing installation. They still gave me a free replacement. They cost about $100.
Buggy-Bum-2

Post by Buggy-Bum-2 »

Yes a rebult is fine but you have to turn in your old one in for a core. Do you have any ADVACE AUTOS down in your area, if so go there, or else call me. I have one that i deal with up here.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Long stroke engines 84mm and above and high compression engines are the only ones I have found so far to need the HiTorque starter. They are a Japanese reduction starter. A Bosch 12v starter works well if bushing is good and has a good ground between the transmission and chassis.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
90volts

Post by 90volts »

looks like a bosch SR17 would be a good choice. stand alone.think i'll give serranos a call about one. thanks all.