Dune Buggy Book

When it's just not buggy related.
desbuggy

Dune Buggy Book

Post by desbuggy »

I am looking on-line at the book "Dune Buggy the essential manual" by Paul Shakespeare and was wondering if anyone else had an opinion about it. I see it at Amazon with a red buggy on the cover and a date of July,2006 and in the motorbooks with a blue buggy on the cover and no date. The Amazon price is a lot less.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

there is a great deal on pan shortening. (which i wasn't interested in at this time) the rest i didn't find all that interesting or coherent. alot of british humor and references which i guess i didn't 'get'.
desbuggy

Post by desbuggy »

Thank you for the heads up. I just hate to spend the money and then find out that it was not what I thought it was. I usually try to see a copy at the local bookstore first.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I actually found it quite interesting on the build up of his own buggy. Yes the shortening of the pan has alot of information. Even showing how the VW factory wanted it done. There is information on fiberglass repair, front beam modifications, how Paul made a hydraulic clutch setup for is right hand drive pan. Also shows some of the problems and how to deal with them to make a fiberglass body conform to the chassis. Yes it is from England but it has imformation that can be used in any country. My copy came from Amazon.com and has the red Manxter on the front cover.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
desbuggy

Post by desbuggy »

Thank you Joe. I am placing an order with Amazon tomorow evening and was just looking for something to take me to the free shipping level. I am currently re-doing a front beam right now. The weather has turned cold but I have everything sandblasted to the point where I can work in the basement now. Do you have any other favorite buggy books?
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I have 4 of the books James Hale from England has out, Dune Buggy Handbook, The Dune Buggy Phenomenon, Dune Buggies, and The Dune Buggy Files. These are great for the pictures of different buggies for getting ideas on doing what you want on your own buggy. Also have Jeff Hibbard's Baja Bugs & Buggies (how to prep VW based cars for off road fun). This is geared more to making a baja or buggy to not fall apart if you take it off road. I have been into dune buggies since 1970 when we built our first one. Still have most of the magzines and books that came out then thru now that I use for referring to when working on projects.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
markmark

Post by markmark »

I would have to say that Jeff Hibbard's book is something that every buggy owner should have. It's an excellent book.
desbuggy

Post by desbuggy »

Boy, lots of information. I like this site. I already have Jeff Hibbards' "Baja Bugs & Buggies" and agree that it is good. I also have the movies from the club store. I'm just looking for a little Christmas present for myself. Thanks.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

An invaluable book for me has been the Haynes automotive tech manual for the early Beetle/Ghia. For my novice abilities, it's the first stop when trying to do repairs on the buggy. Lots of useful photos, and a good, logical explination of how to do things.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Here's some more old Dune Buggy books that come up on ebay sometimes. They were all published in 69 or 70. Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

This was a Quazell Technical book. Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

This was another Quazell Technical book Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

This was a Petersen book Image
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Who needs books anyway??? we have the Meyers Manx forums :cool: The help & advice I've read on here far exceeds anything written by any academic in my opinion,,,,,,,,, must say that Jeff Hibbards book was like a Bible to me years ago along with the Bob Waar ''Baja-prepping VW Sedans & Dune Buggies'' book, which has some Meyers Manx pics in it. The old ones are the best :D Bout time B.M did his book :rock:
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Look closely at the top picture on the cover of "How to Prepare Dune Buggies &VW Sedans". Recognise the guy leaning on the buggy?