Dune Buggy Book

When it's just not buggy related.
desbuggy

Post by desbuggy »

I will definitely keep me eye out for some of the older books. I already own most of the regular VW based repair books. I have a beetle, rabbit, westy, Ghia convertible and a buggy. Now all I have to do is retire and get them all on the road at the same time.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Who needs books anyway??? we have the Meyers Manx forums :cool: The help & advice I've read on here far exceeds anything written by any academic in my opinion,,,,,,,,, must say that Jeff Hibbards book was like a Bible to me years ago along with the Bob Waar ''Baja-prepping VW Sedans & Dune Buggies'' book, which has some Meyers Manx pics in it. The old ones are the best :D Well said Mel!!! Bout time B.M did his book :rock:[/QUOTE] Books...books...we don't need no stinkin' books!!!! What happened to learning by asking questions and skinning knuckles???
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Olli

Post by Olli »

Paul Shakespeare's new book "Building a Dune Buggy, The Essential Manual" just arrived yesterday. I went through it quickly. The pictures are excellent, the information seems to be very well presented and up to date BUT there isn't too much information about the Manxter. Which brings me to the point that Mr Shakespeare needs to know that there is no "s" in Manxter. Seriously, it seems to be a very good book. Olli
shaky

Post by shaky »

Hi Olli Thanks for the kind words about the book. There will always be those who like something and those who don't. The 60,000 words, the illustrations, photographs and research all took a lot of time and commitment and for very very little reward, so a few kind words mean a lot! Yeah yeah, winnie already told me about mispelling manxter, maybe it is the British dictionary on my computer :o It proves that you did read it though I wrote the book because I was disappointed with the "picture-books" on the market. The definition of "handbook" means that it should include some instruction on a specific subject. There is an old brit saying that "you can't please all of the people all of the time!" A guy from Texas couldn't understand why there is a section on chassis shortening. Some people want to shorten a floorpan others don't. I could harldy personalise each book. Perhaps there is room for an electronic version where it is possible to download the relevant chapters. Personally I like paper books with the option to skip the bits I don't need. There could have been a section on wet weather gear, but the more pages used means a higher price of the printed book, and I can't remeber seeing much rain in California when I visited! I also have the record "it never rains in SoCal". I like paper books. If I get intersted in something, I want a book about it. Other folk aren't interested in books, fair enough. I would hope however that there is something new for most people. I know one bloke who uses glass mat to secure nuts inside the hood, bonnet, nose (whatever we should call the bit at the front) to bolt it in place. I personally think that the anchor nuts are a far neater solution. But that is just my opinion. >quote: "Books...books...we don't need no stinkin' books!!!! What happened to learning by asking questions and skinning knuckles???" HI David, the idea is to maybe save the skinned knuckles, drilling the hole in the wrong place, wasting valuable time waiting for parts etc. etc. We all have different skills, abilities and experience. Again, it isn't possible to tailor each book. I have done my best not to cover what already existed in other books. For those who will never build a buggy due to time, money, or space limitations, I hope that they can live the experience through the book over a nice cool beer! Another thing that I tried to do is unravel the sometimes weird and contradictory instructions that come with certain parts of kit. For the person who knows a procedure, it is all too easy to leave out essential information. "Oh but that part is obvious", "that goes without saying". No it doesn't! :x When you are just about to weld in front beam adjusters and the instructions are unclear, or you are worried about putting the torsion leaves in upside down, you may need some reference. Creative criticism is always welcome and suggestions for extra content are appreciated. I think too much information rather than too little is always the best bet. regds shaky Hi Mel You started this by selling me the Manx in the first place:D "The help & advice I've read on here far exceeds anything written by any academic in my opinion,,,,,,,,," Just out of interest, have you read my book?:(
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Hi Mel You started this by selling me the Manx in the first place:D "The help & advice I've read on here far exceeds anything written by any academic in my opinion,,,,,,,,," Just out of interest, have you read my book?:( .[/QUOTE] No sorry not read it,, just had a quick look at a friends copy. But I know exactly what you mean about commitment and hard work for very little reward,, been doing it myself for many years. What really pisses me off is without that input (selling you the Manx ,,, or working on JHs GT plug),,,,,, yours,, and other James Hales UK buggy books may never have been written and yet the authors seem to do their best to make sure my business don't get any recognition for various buggies (supplied by myself) pictured in those books. Im just glad the editors of Volkworld & Ultra VW don't do the same when they feature one or it would be impossible to continue. I do offer a 7 day buggy build phone helpline to all my customers,,, but after a day in the shop working messing & talking about em,, the last thing I need is a book on em. Good Luck with it anyway Shaky,,,, even if it does have a JAS pictured in the mould shop :eek: you only had to ask the guy who you bought your buggy from,,,,,,,, sure he would have obliged with pics from its little offsprings,, at the time :D
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I notice that both this and JH's books seem to cary 'paid for' adverts for Buggy and VW related companies inside their covers (a bit wierd in the world of publishing I know...). Were you ever even given the chance to spread your business' name in this way Mel? I can't honestly think of what you've done to upset these guys Mel unless they're just seriously jealous of your talents. You've always been one of the 'good guys'!!! Don't let 'em got you down mate!!! :rock:
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
shaky

Post by shaky »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Hi Mel you only had to ask the guy who you bought your buggy from,,,,,,,, sure he would have obliged with pics from its little offsprings,, at the time :D[/QUOTE] Mel Firstly let me say how much I admire your contribution to the buggy scene. That is why I chose you to buy a buggy from, but more importantly, why I called and asked if you had any good photos of your many fibreglass modifications and processes for inclusion in the book. You pointed me at Mel Baker saying that he had some good pics of the tourquoise Manx being restored. I tried several times but Mel Baker refused to answer my emails. Luckily I had some training in GRP as part of my Aircraft technician apprenticeship so was able to put together a section on this subject, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted, a feature showing the great mods you do and the ease with which you seem to do them! I went to JAS because their tubs are turned out about 25 miles from where I live, whilst you had moved to the other side of the planet, well it seems like it from Dorset. :( As far as the advertising goes, I thought that would be a bloody cheek, me producing a book on what you do for a living, and then the publisher asking you for huge amounts of cash to get a half page! I thought I was doing the right thing. sorry!:cry: regds shaky
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Thanks for the kind words Dave. Your right, No one has ever offered me the chance of spreading my business name in any book ,, for some reason I feel they are just trying to brush me under the carpet. After I teamed up with Bruce & Winnie and did the Manx thing here in 99, James Hale seemed to make sure my business never profited from any of his books. Another Limie classic example was the VW Motoring mag Manx 2 feature,,,Oct 02,, Niel Griffiths old buggy,,, featured for the second time,,, but now by its new owner. It was the front cover car, plus a four page write up,, words pics by Pete Barr (whoever the hell HE is),, he sure chose his words carefully as there was no indication where a potential Manx customer could get hold of that kit. Instead,, sandwiched inbetween that write up was an advert for JAS buggies :help: Back to books,,, I think Shaky should do another one, called ''Setting up your buggy for the street & off road'' that kinda thing is often overlooked. Come n see me sometime,, and lets go for a blast in the old surf chick,, hit some anti-speed ramps at 50mph,, then lock all four wheels up at the same speed,, thanks to some past Manx Mania low cost tips :rock: Dave,, lets get together & write a book about people who write books :crazy: did you know its blue Monday today? :D
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="shaky"]Mel Firstly let me say how much I admire your contribution to the buggy scene. That is why I chose you to buy a buggy from, but more importantly, why I called and asked if you had any good photos of your many fibreglass modifications and processes for inclusion in the book. You pointed me at Mel Baker saying that he had some good pics of the tourquoise Manx being restored. I tried several times but Mel Baker refused to answer my emails. Luckily I had some training in GRP as part of my Aircraft technician apprenticeship so was able to put together a section on this subject, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted, a feature showing the great mods you do and the ease with which you seem to do them! I went to JAS because their tubs are turned out about 25 miles from where I live, whilst you had moved to the other side of the planet, well it seems like it from Dorset. :( As far as the advertising goes, I thought that would be a bloody cheek, me producing a book on what you do for a living, and then the publisher asking you for huge amounts of cash to get a half page! I thought I was doing the right thing. sorry!:cry: regds shaky[/QUOTE] Big confusion then maybe,, back then I was not on line,, all emails went to Mel Baker,, Mel B used to answer my emails,, what he said?? who knows. Maybe you got the two of us mixed up,, a lot of guys did back then. I don't remember any such call,, but then again I was moving home at the time,, things where MANIC (Meyers Manic) at that time with the move :roll:
shaky

Post by shaky »

Hi Mel The call was definitely with you, it was when you offered me the hardtop which I still haven't managed to get yet. Do you still have and are you going to Volksworld this year. Last year you were rushing off to do a boat show! The book idea sound slike a good one. I worked for a company called Team Hartwell in the early seventies. We built cars and components for cuircuit racing and rallying. We did a fair bit of suspension work in both areas. At one point one of our engines fitted to a hydroplane held the world speed record. Wow, we so pleased that it reved to an amzing 13,000 rpm. Doesn't seem that much now does it. We put one in a side car outfit as well. The book really took it's toll, it wasn't great for the marriage or my relationship with the boy. I'm in a better space now:confused:... I think
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="shaky"]Hi Mel The call was definitely with you, it was when you offered me the hardtop which I still haven't managed to get yet. Do you still have and are you going to Volksworld this year. Last year you were rushing off to do a boat show! The book idea sound slike a good one. I worked for a company called Team Hartwell in the early seventies. We built cars and components for cuircuit racing and rallying. We did a fair bit of suspension work in both areas. At one point one of our engines fitted to a hydroplane held the world speed record. Wow, we so pleased that it reved to an amzing 13,000 rpm. Doesn't seem that much now does it. We put one in a side car outfit as well. The book really took it's toll, it wasn't great for the marriage or my relationship with the boy. I'm in a better space now:confused:... I think[/QUOTE] I still have that hardtop,, but,, I did promise to one of my old customers (about 6 monthe ago) but he's not been to collect it yet,, so maybe,, failing that,, I know another guy that has one he don't use,, maybe he will sell it. Back in the 60s & 70s I lived close Brands Hatch,, every weekend I was there ,,,Team Hartwell,,, I remember that name well. Can't have been last years Volkworld show we met,, I never went,, did the boat show both days last year,,,, it must have been the year before,,,,, and that was a megga hectic weekend (like the house move),,,its easy for me to forget when things get like that,,,, had to get back home from Sandown park,, unload,,then load up ready for an early getaway to the boat show. With your Hartwell pedigree,, a buggy suspension & brake set up book would be a breeze,,,,,far too many buggies here in UK are set up with rock hard suspension, crap brakes, & steering columns that shake like mad. Can't beat tried & tested methods,, beats the guess work way. Build it,, take it to Baja,, all the way down to Cabo San Lucas n back to Tijuana,, if it makes the trip without probs,, the set up should be just fine to cope with the many anti speed ramps cropping up here in UK :D What a great excuse for writing a book :rock:
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I built a slot-car of a Hartwell Imp, 'Humbrol' orange just wasn't quite bright enough so I spent a fortune getting a jar of 'Testors' enamel sent by mail from Wonderland Raceways in Brighton to do the bottom bit. November 1970 it was...but ask me what I did at work yesterday...absolutely no recollection at all!!! :( Image
shaky

Post by shaky »

Ahh those long gone days. That's my ex boss "Ponky" Payne hammering the Imp around before we got him a set of big wheels and arches. He died not long ago and was still building engines until a short while before his demise. Those were the days when I could remeber things, like the difference between last year's Volksworld show and the year before. :crazy: It gives me a warm feeling in my trousers to know that someone else remembers Team Hartwell. The days when you could ask for a part without having to enter into a discussion about why you want it and what you want it for. "It's for a purple Manx." It won't fit that! Yes it will, give me the bloody part. Twelve year olds, honestly :x