What tyres for these wheels?

When it's just not buggy related.
markmark

What tyres for these wheels?

Post by markmark »

I'm thinking of these wheels for my new buggy; http://www.btrracingwheels.com/ The front wheels will be 15 x 4 and the rear will be 15 x 7. I would like a similar diameter tyre to the rear tyres on the front as I would like to carry a spare front tyre that I could use on the rear if needed. A fair percentage of my driving will be on loose sand and rocks so the tyres will have to perform well in these conditions as well as being suitable for highway driving. My buggy has 3 inches of body lift, so tyre clearance shouldn't be a problem.
fubar

Post by fubar »

Those are good looking wheels. I like them better without the bead locks (lookwise) . Did they give you a price? You might look at the Yokohama Geolander or BFG all terrain or mud terrain. The yokohama seams to work well at low pressure and does not hold and fling gravel too much.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Rear tire Dick Cepek Fun Country 31x10.50x15 made by Mickey Thompson for the rear. 31in tall. Front tire Mickey Thompson Baja Pro 30x7.00x15 for the front. Both will fit on the BTR with no problems. I am using a Remington 31x10.50x15 on a 6.5in rim on the rear of my buggy. Baja Pro tire does not have a DOT rating, but people still run them on the street. Same goes for the BTR wheel "casted right into wheel say for racing purpose only".
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
markmark

Post by markmark »

[QUOTE="jsturtlebuggy"]Rear tire Dick Cepek Fun Country 31x10.50x15 made by Mickey Thompson for the rear. 31in tall. Front tire Mickey Thompson Baja Pro 30x7.00x15 for the front. Both will fit on the BTR with no problems. I am using a Remington 31x10.50x15 on a 6.5in rim on the rear of my buggy. Baja Pro tire does not have a DOT rating, but people still run them on the street. Same goes for the BTR wheel "casted right into wheel say for racing purpose only".[/QUOTE] This is what I was thinking about. It's reassuring to know it's been done before.
manxter26

Post by manxter26 »

Mark, I've liked those wheels since they first came out. They have kind of a classic look, but with modern technology. I thought that the MT mini-mag, 27" height with maybe the Baja Pro, 33/9.00-15, 33" height, would give a good Big-N-Little look. I'm running 31" on the back of my Manx and just not sure if the 33" would clear. I do have the short bars but a little nervous about body clearance. Your body lift should give you plenty of clearance and maybe the 30" front would get your sizes closer. OK, I'm sorry but I have to tell this story. A friend of mine is into the VW bus deal. Last year he goes to a bus meet with his grandson, and the grandson wins the 2nd place door prize, a set of aluminum wheels for an early bus, wide five pattern. Last month he calls me up and tells me they are going to buses and balloons in Albuquerque,NM and hes going to take these wheels to try and sell at the swap meet. He's wondering what these wheels, the name is three letters, might be worth. I'm thinking, no way can these be BTR wheels but have him bring one buy the office before he goes so I can look at them. Sure enough, 2 15x7 and 2 15x4 BTR wheels new in the boxes. I'm sure somebody donated them for the door prize, but why 7" and 4" for a bus. Anyway, yeah I'm interested and how much do you want? I tell him they are $150.00 @ new, but they aren't going to bring that much at a swap meet. The grandson got them for free, so he's going to be happy with anything thats cash. I tell him that I'd gladly give him $250.00 for them but maybe he should go to swap meet and try his luck. Nope, $250.00 is just fine, come and get them. They are great looking wheels and no, they are not for sale, they will live on one of my Manxes. By the way, the 15x7, which is cast 15x7 on the back of the wheel, only measures 15x6 1/2 from inside of bead. Let us know which sizes you end up going with.
markmark

Post by markmark »

I'm going to have 15 x 7 on the rear and 15 x 4 on the front.
markmark

Post by markmark »

[QUOTE="jsturtlebuggy"] Baja Pro tire does not have a DOT rating, but people still run them on the street. Same goes for the BTR wheel "casted right into wheel say for racing purpose only".[/QUOTE] How do the Baja Pro tyres perform on the street? Do they give acceptable handling and braking? Maybe I should be thinking of a street set of tyres and a set for sand?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Why 2 sets? I run BFG T/A radials (street tires) on my Manx and if performs great in the sand too. Just air them down. Image
markmark

Post by markmark »

My aim is to run the tallest tyres that are practical on my buggy. I have 31/10.5/15 tyres for the rear and I would like to have a similar diameter tyre for the front for more ground clearance and also I intend to carry a spare front tyre that is useable on the rear if needed. Does anyone know of a tyre that is roughly 28 to 30 inches tall that would fit on a 15 x 4 rim that is both suitable for off road and road use?
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Here is a web site that gives good info on many different tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp While not a complete list, it gives you a good idea of what's out there, and how it performs. You have to do a bit of exploring, but they do have a list of tires, and how they rate against each other by customer reviews. Under the Light Truck section are some off-road tires you could check out. The below links are for 31/10.50 15 AT and MT tires. You can enter which ever tire size you like. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres ... earch=true http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres ... earch=true
markmark

Post by markmark »

That's a great link 5150bossman. Thanks for that.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The 30in tall Baja Pro looks like the Mini Mag tire except it is 3inches taller. It is flat across the tread area. The bigger Baja Pros are have more crown on the tread. They are a soft compond and wear out quicker than a street tire. I am still using my old Western Auto Sand Blasters on the front which the Mini Mag is the same tire. They work good on the street just wear more. It was the same with the Gates Commando tires too years ago. Soft rubber compound work great off road but not as well on the street for wearing.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
markmark

Post by markmark »

Do you have any pictures of your buggy with these tyres on?
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It is a rework in progess and I do not have any pictures to post of it. Looking at your buggy you should not have any clearance problems.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
markmark

Post by markmark »

You've convinced me now. I'm going for the Baja Pro's. The buggy won't see much street use and I think they will be much better in sand.