SIDEPODS- Time to Pony-up?!

When it's just not buggy related.
Tom-Kathleen

SIDEPODS- Time to Pony-up?!

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Jim, I spoke to Winnie today. I wanted to order cage covers so I asked her about the side pods. I have committed myself now. :eek: So, I guess if you want to do this, this would be a good time to get your order in. She is going to call me back next week with the cost of having both things made especially since I am special ordering the color for both the covers and the pods. Of course the issue about transporting the side pods came up. Her usual mode of transporting the pods won't work (UPS for the traditional side pods) because, as we already know, the Manxter pods are too long. I did ask her about Greyhound but she thinks the size will exceed their limit too. She said she would check though. Maybe it will cost less to transport them if both of us do it @ the same time? I'm up for saving a few :dollar: :dollar: on that. Olli, Was your contact person Collin Stewart @ Stewart Transport? I still have a toll free phone number for him from when I had the Manxter shipped. Can I be so bold as to ask you the cost to NJ? I'm sure CT, being farther, will be a little more. I won't put the engine in this year as I won't have the funds to replace the engine until after next summer. Tom and I may have to rebuild that VW engine one more time before it is retired from the Manxter. Besides, I promised I would help Tom rewire his buggy this year. :crazy: That will be a big enough project for this winter (along with a rebuild). Kathleen
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Olli

Post by Olli »

Well Jim, are you in for a set of pods? Kathleen, let me call Colin. I will need both yours and Jim's zipcode for me to give to Colin. Did Winnie give you an approx. ready date? Olli
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

Kathleen and Olli, Sorry guys...I've been away from the forum for a couple of days. So Kathleen, what changed your mind all of a sudden? As for the newer designed Side-Pods.....I'M STILL IN but as with Kathleen I will need to send a sample piece of my Dragon Red to Bruce and Winne for color match. Even though this was not a custom color not all reds are the same from run to run so it would probably be best if they had an actual sample for color match so just let me know what everyones time frame for all of this will be and I will call Winnie about sending an actual sample to them if needed. I'm sure the same applies with Kathleen's Pearlesent White Manxter. You will also like having the tube covers but also make sure you get the padding with them. You will need to make a few minor adjustment around the left, right and top of the windshield surround front tube due to obvious clearance issues but is not a big deal and I can tell you how I did mine when needed. This just made my day...thanks to both of you for your efforts. As with Kathleen I will also need to wait on the Subi upgrade but these Side-Pods will certainly position things nicely for the hopefully not too distant Subi future. Now look what you have gone and done Olli. :hello: MO Money! My shipping address and contact info is as follows: Complex One 960 Klondyke Avenue Indiana, Pennsylvania 15701 (724) 465-6832 - Bus (724) 465-6833 - Fax
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Hi Jim & Olli! I only spoke very briefly to Winnie. I caught her between errands. They are getting ready for a show. Consequently, I have no time table or costs yet. Winnie is going to call me next week with more info. So Kathleen, what changed your mind all of a sudden? If you talked to Tom, he would tell you this has been a looooong time coming. We set the speedo (drove) the red Subaru Manxter last October in Valley Center. Tom has been chipping away @ me since. I needed to hear it was more reliable from some other people and you two filled that bill. I just needed to mull it over a little longer and look @ how much $$ I have and what I need to have done. Kathleen
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

Kathleen, Listen to Tom....! Besides being hopefully your best friend he is stearing you in the right direction as well in regard to the Subi. They are not like your previous 1970's experiences that you had at all. I also own a 2001 Subaru Legacy GT AWD, now that would be a new concept for a Manxter AWD, and if performance of this vehicle and extremely low maintanence so far is any example of what a newer built Subi in a Manxter would feel like well.....one can only imagine a similar engine in a 1600lb curb weight vehicle like a Manxter. :eek: Certainly far more dependable than rebuilding a VW performance motor over and over again not to mention all of the added options available with a water cooled LIKE HEAT and DEFROSTERS that could actually work! I know that I, for one, am up for longer driving times and my wife and I just love to get out in #37 as often as possible and this will make driving on cooler fall evenings more of a pleasure in the future. Not that I can afford to add the Subi engine anytime soon myself either, I just really like the look of the newer Side-Pods that Bruce designed for his Subi Manxter and it changes the entire appearance of this vehicle to a more sporty killer look.... as though it is moving when it is actualy sitting still. I personally think that our Manxter's at least deserve this upgrade for now anyway and glad to hear that you are also now interested. Great winter upgrade. We also need to remember asking Winnie about the modified rear bumper when it becomes "Subi Time" for both of us. :drinking: Maybe we should also consider getting them now as well and have them shipped with the pods. Probably won't add to the shipping cost on the poads and prices usually only go up as time goes by anyway and now might be the best time to consider getting the rear bumpers and any other needed assemblies for it even without upgrading engines right now. Just a thought! What do you think Kathleen??? Maybe when that time arrives for us, financially that is, with the later upgrade to the Subi we can do the same thing and maybe get a break on multiple purchase pricing and shipping expenses for two engines instead of one? I know I will not be upgrading to the Subi for a while myself so we both have more time to ponder, pay off what we still owe from the first, second, third, forth, etc. parts purchasing and financing rounds and then start saving towards the engine upgrade. I know that once this day actually gets a little closer that I will also need to seriously consider changing out my stock trans as well because I am only currently running my original 1973 Type-1 at the moment and it would probably not handle the added horsepower of the Subi very well or for that matter for very long. I will probably consider a Rancho trans upgrade in that department. It still amazes me however that this original, untouched other than power flushing and re-filling, has performed like new. Then again, also consider that I have owned this 1973 chassi and trans since 1982 when I put it in storage, it was a Southern Texas vehicle that only saw snow one time, and that this original Type-1 vehicle only had around 20K-23K or so miles on it then... I consider myself very lucky that I have not had to invest in this area as of yet. The trans has worked flawlessly since I got #37 on the road a couple of years ago with absolutely no problems what so ever. So I'll keep checking the forum or give me call directly once you have heard back from Winnie next week sometime and we can both go from there. Olli....please do the same so we can all stay on the same page. If needed, I have a 888 toll free number that you both can use into my office or I can establish a conference call from here between the three of us as I also have monthly flat rate on my business phones in order for us to speak directly and at the same time if this would help. Just let me know what works best for everyone. Have a great weekend. The weather is great here in Indiana, PA today and we will be heading out in the Manxter shortly in a little while. Thanks for everyones input and efforts in all of this. That is what makes buggies fun in the first place. Everyone willing to help each other. What a Concept!
Olli

Post by Olli »

I will give Colin a call on Monday. Olli
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Jim Tom thinks the bumper piece is a good idea. Olli was able to modify his bumpers to work with the subi engine. Tom thinks we will only need the back curved piece with the Meyers Manx laser detail. Otherwise, the current bumper can be modified. I too will have to beef up the tranny. I can probably have the freeway flyer I have now modified to include a beef-a-diff. Olli, My zip code is 06066 Kathleen
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Olli

Post by Olli »

I actually made a template of the lower "stub mount" that changes the location of the bumper tube. So when you need them I can make them. My lower mount will position the lower tube further outboard. The benefits to this are; it allows you to use your existing bumper tubes, clears the Subi headers, and does not block access to the oil filter. As far as the curved cross piece. I have given up on waiting for Bruce and will make my own. Olli
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Olli - to make a curved pice out of the straight piece, I can think of 2 ways to do it. #1 - cuts slits in the top and bottom horizontal parts of the current piece and just bend it and weld it back together at the cuts and grind the welds down when done. Or - #2 - cut the top & bottom parts off make new curved parts, bend the (now flat) script to meet the curve and weld back together. This way would probably be less work and be nicer in the end. With both of these methods, it would probably be easier to get it chrome plated when done. The copper they use as a base for the plating is easier to polish than the stainless steel. Also with both methods, extentions will have to be made to make up for the lost length in the bending process. Thanks to Mike at ECR, we have an extra script to play with when the time comes. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Olli

Post by Olli »

Tom, Those are great ideas but my original rear script stainless cross piece was cut and used for my other bumper cage. So, I will be starting from scratch. I have an idea for a new cross piece....it will be a month or so before I get to it though. Olli