Rims / Sidepods

When it's just not buggy related.
talldude

Rims / Sidepods

Post by talldude »

On this site who makes these Rims? Also when I bought the standard Kit I don't remember an option on the pods with the louvers. Is this an option you can get in 2006? http://www.meyersmanx.com/manxter2+2.shtml Also what size Tires and Rims have you all used on the front/rear of your Manxter's? Is tire rack a good place to buy them or Discount tire? Fixing to be at the stage where I need to look at getting the rims and tires so I can at least move the bottom half around in the garage. Thanks, Patrick "http://www.meyersmanx.com/manxter2+2.shtml" How many Manxters have been sold now? Does anyone know?
Olli

Post by Olli »

I'll start with your last question. I asked Winnie that question a few months ago and at that time the answer was about 66. In the picture that you linked to I am fairly certain that those wheels are Centerlines. They are 17 x 7 front and 18 x 10 rear. With 205 45 17 and 255 55 18 tires. The louvered sidepods were prototyped on the red car that you linked to. Bruce has since made one or two more sets. I have a set. Are they now an available part? I don't know, call Meyers Inc. Talldude, I don't know where you live but I will warn you that if you want a set they must be shipped via truck frieght since they are very long. Olli
Olli

Post by Olli »

Patrick, Wheel backspacing on a Manxter is just as important as the wheel sizing itself. Especially with the front. Are you building a street Manxter or a street / dirt ? If you are building a street Manxter don't use dropped spindles as they will increase the track width by a 1/2". That will mean more backspacing to try and keep the tires under the front fenders. Too much backspacing will bring with it other problems too. I have the 17 x 7 with 205 45 17 combo on the front stock spindles. I have an adjustable beam to lower the car. The backspacing is the same as the red Manxter @ 4.00". The tires stick out past the fenders a wee bit , so, 4.50" would have been better. I don't foresee any issues as I don't plan on lowering the car toooo much in the front as the height of the tires fills the wheel well quite well. Kathleen has dropped spindles ( + an adjustable front end ??) and I am not sure on the tire size. She will hit and rub the front fenders on hard dips. For the rear the 18 X 10, 255 55 18 with a 4.50" bs is perfect. Bolt pattern is important. You will have very little to choose from, wheel wise, with a VW 4 bolt pattern. I bought blank rotors and had them drilled and tapped for a late 5 x 4.50" Ford pattern. I ended up with Budnik wheels. HTH Olli
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Hi Pat! :hello: So glad :D to hear you are working on the Manxter!! Olli is right, I have drop spindles and an adjustable front end. My front wheels are 16 x 7" with a 4" back spacing. The tires are 205/55/16. Again, Olli is correct when he says the tires will rub. I have 2 spots in the front that rub. The passenger wheel will rub the egde of the body where the tire sticks out when I make a left turn and I have weight on the passengers side. (I keep telling Tom he needs to loose weight....LOL) Seriously though, my passenger side front fender sits slightly lower than the driver's front fender which is probably why this happens. The other problem is that if I crank the wheel for a tight turn, the tire will rub the insde of the wheel well (or side pod). The turn stops have been adjusted to remedy this problem but have limited the turning radius on the car. Tom says 5" back spacing or more would have been much better. I have 17 x 9.5 rear wheels with 4" backspacing and 255/50/17 tires. These work very well without any problems. Hope this helps. Kathleen
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
ex FV

Backspace

Post by ex FV »

Keep in mind that Tom's 17 X 9.5 rim with 4" backspace is in the same position as Olli's 18 X 10 rim with 4.5" backspace. Backspace is related to wheel width. - John