Procedure to flip Transmission ring gear?

When it's just not buggy related.
ManxRob

Procedure to flip Transmission ring gear?

Post by ManxRob »

After a really fun marathon of a Manx re-build I took the now Corvair powered Manx out for the first time. No problem backing out of the garage, except for an overly strong throttle return spring. Turns out the ?reverse rotation? Corvair engine I put in is really not, so I have a really cool looking buggy with 1 forward and 4 reverse gears! "http://www.meyersmanx.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1231&cat=500&ppuser=1106"ImageSince I?m running a swing arm transmission I think I can flop the ring gear to make it work with my engine. Does anybody have any experience and or knowledge they would be willing to share? Is it something I can do myself without specialty tools? Is there any shimming or clearancing required? If I add a heavy-duty side cover, which side would it go on in this application? Thanks in advance! I would like get finished with the build part of the buggy fun so we can enjoy the driving and repairing parts for the rest of the summer.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I have flipped the ring gear on several transmissions in a pinch and thay have worked without much gear noise. The proper way would be to flip it then have the ring and pinion setup properly, to get the wear pattern correct for long life and minimal gear whine. Having it properly setup would insure the trans will live a longer life. If you decide to use a HD side cover it will go on the ring gear side of the trans case.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

When I used a new donor bug when restoring my manx I got an IRS bug which I didn't know at the time would not work with the manx I. I converted the donor over to a swing axle which meant converting the carrier for the ring gear over to the swing axle type. In doing this I made careful measurements as to the location from the side plates for the IRS to the the ring gear and then duplicated those deminsions over to the side plates for the swing axle and put it back together. It now has about 3,500 miles on it and doesn't have any gear noise at all. You maybe able to do it that way and shim it so that the depth is the same on the opposite side as the original side.
tpinthepack

67 and earlier Bus Transmission

Post by tpinthepack »

The gear reduction transmissions have the ring gear reversed. You may be able to find someone who has one for sale. Just remove the reduction gears and you will be set.