axle clearance problem

When it's just not buggy related.
Jim Ishmael

axle clearance problem

Post by Jim Ishmael »

advise please. I bought a 67 buggy, has a swing axle, solid front mount, new polyurthane rear mounts. axles do not have enough clearance to frame at neutral camber. Lost two axle boots in short time. I am not sure what trans it is (ie: bug, van?) .Trying to get time to read manuals on V W's and mod V W's but thought I would pick your brains..Any ideas out there. Thanks..
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I don't really understand what you mean. If you could post some pictures that would help an amazing amount. Do you mean the tans is sitting to low to get the axles to sit low enough for neutral camber? Please explain more so we can help as much as possable.
Jim Ishmael

axle

Post by Jim Ishmael »

thanks for the reply...perhaps I can take some pic's tomorrow... what I am saying in a nutshell is..it appears when the axle is sitting level to the ground the trans is sitting too low in the frame. the boots are pinched between the axles and the frame. I am new to these chassis (and possible trans combo's) so I am also trying to realize exactly what transaxle I have. Bought several buggy specialty books but haven't had time to read them yet. I presume some where in them I will find external characteristics that identify a bus trans from a type 1 trans etc.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

For some reason your transmission is setting to low in the frame horns. You should have clearance between the boot and frame horns. Do you know what year the chassis is? Does the engine and transmission set level? Without seeing the way it is mounted it will be had to give you a good reason why it is happening. You can heat up the frame horn and dimple them to get clearance. This would require removing the transmission.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

A lot of times the rear urethane mounts will compress and your tranny will sit lower. It is better to use the stock mounts.
manxfwin

axle clearance problem

Post by manxfwin »

Just a thought without pictures but you might want to check the frame horns.It would'nt seem likely but they could be bent or broken enough that your engine/trans is setting in a position other than stock.About the only way to compare is to find another buggy. :2cents:
croakintowd

What I know......

Post by croakintowd »

Hello, I have heard of folks having the same problem as you. Any suggestion which raises the tranny off the horns is worth a look. There's more than one way to skin a cat, I've heard. Although I don't have a swing axle car, I have a friend who does, and one of the things he did was to put a 3/16" shim under the rear tranny mounts. Also, get the heavy duty mounts (I got mine form CIP1), and lose the Urethane. I started with Urethane mounts in my car. It's not even done yet, and I have discarded them. They just were too "weenie". They fit poorly, didn't seem to have designed well, and I feared they were gonna fail in short order. The HD Volkswagen units are WAY better, and easier to install. If you put a shim under them, you'll end up raising your boots off the horn enough. Just make 'em out of some steel. This assumes that your horns aren't bent or deformed in some manner. You'd have to look at your car to see that it's in good shape to start with. A byproduct of the shimming is that you increase your ground clearance, albeit slightly, by tilting the rear of the engine up a little. Lastly, remember; Free advice is worth every penney you pay for it.............. Good luck,
Jim Ishmael

axle clearance problem

Post by Jim Ishmael »

I had a pair of good rubber mounts in the car. I had the clearance problem with them. I replaced them with the urthane mounts and have the same problem At quick glance the engine trans seems to sit level in the chassis. It has a solid metal block instead of a rubber front mount. Been taking time away from problem to do volunteer work. I will try next week to get deeper into the problem. Thanks for all the comments and help. Maybe I can get a few more facts together soon.
Jim Ishmael

axle clearance problem

Post by Jim Ishmael »

Well, I had some time and took the punctured boot off. Very small hole in a larger bruised area. Found frame was modified slightly and a weld was there. The weld was not finished smooth. I ground it down for now and threw it back together. Not satified but too busy to yank it all apart now. Thanks guys, Ish
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Typically there is light interference between the bottom of the boot and the top of the frame horn, but not enough to wear the boot. Hopefully removing the weld will eliminate your problem.