IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Old-Towd

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by Old-Towd »

Buggy Buddys need help I'm not sure witch way the #21 spacer ( the outer spacer close to brake drum )  goes on a IRS stub axle it has a beveled edge and depending who I ask I get a different answer and there sure it goes that way.  Here's my thoughts -  

Note the beveled edge needs to be towards the axle nut so when you put on the bearing & oil seal cover the seal will climb on the spacer without cutting it.  That seal rides on that spacer. Sounds great to me , but here's what someone else said - the edge was beveled so it would only contact the inner bearing race and not hit the rollers. It also gives the full width against the drum that way. Now that sounds good to me also I'll have to look at my parts to see if that theory holds water. I seen V.W. shop manuals that are unclear on witch way it goes. looking for proof. 

Last edited by Old-Towd on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
jsturtlebuggy

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Jay,

On the thousand's of VW IRS rear bearings I worked on over the years including my own, the outer spacer has always had the bevel towards the bearing.

It just makes sense that the wider surface is against the drum and the narrow surface is against the outer bearing race as it is a smaller surface than the drum.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Tom-Kathleen

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I agree with jsturtlbuggy, bevel goes in.  I thought it was that way you you could install it without wrecking the seal.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Ed-Chenal

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Here are the reassembly instructions from Rob and Dave's Air Cooled Page...

Repacking and Reinstalling the Bearings

1. Place the cleaned inner ball race in the palm of your hand, and using your other hand, place lithium wheel bearing grease in the races and work it through with your fingers. It’s a very messy job, but don’t skimp it – the grease must be worked right through the bearing until it’s oozing out the other side on to your palm.
  2. Gently tap the ball bearing back into it’s place on the gearbox side of the brake assembly – only tap the outer race, not the cage or inner race. Install the grease seal.
  3. Now insert the inner ring spacer over the stub axle (with the chamfer facing the gearbox so it mates with the chamfered join between the shaft and the CV flange, and insert the shaft through from the gearbox side (you have put the grease seal back in haven’t you?)
  4. Now slide the tube spacer back over the axle from the brake drum side, and you should see a space between it and the hole in the housing. This space needs to be completely filled with grease – it acts like a reservoir – keeping the grease from running out of the bearings. Using a finger dipped in the grease you can work it into the space around the tube spacer, running your finger round and round the end to work the grease deeper (if this whole process doesn’t feel therapeutic, you should be getting someone else to do the job!)
  5. Now put the roller bearing cage in the palm of your hand and work the grease through the bearing, as you did with the ball bearing. Once completely packed with grease, place the cage over the axle and push it home. If you’ve done it right, some excess grease will push out between the rollers. If not, pull the bearing and work more grease into the area, so when the bearing is push home the space between the two bearings is FULL of grease.
  6. Replace the outer ring spacer, with the chamfered edge facing the gearbox (it’s chamfered on that side so it only bears on the inner race, not on the roller cage). Insert a new grease seal into the outer cover (or just completely clean the existing one if you are reusing it), and place the cover back over the bearing and spacer. Tighten the four bolts.
  7. Replace the brake drum, and spin the 36mm nut on. Once the wheel is back on the ground, you’ll be able to tighten it to 217 ft-lbs and install the split pin.
Ed
Old-Towd

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by Old-Towd »

Ok after reading Ed's Rob & Dave's report and asking about ten more resourceful Buddys and Jim the Trans dude yes the outer spacer goes with a chamfer towards the bearing, not the axle nut.  The chamfer keeps the spacer from riding on the balls of the bearing, it just rides on the inner race.  Thanks Buggy Buddys for your help.
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
MyBlueBuggy

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

I was curious about this on my buggy as I just can't recall which way I installed the spacer or if I was ever told there was a right or wrong.  I do remember having issues finding a proper seal so I dug through my build pics.  According the the picture the seal is in correctly.
Old-Towd

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by Old-Towd »

Tom ya it look right, the trick on the spacer is to install it last after the bearing seal cover is on that way the spacer doesn't push the seal the wrong way and pop the seal spring out.
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
Ed-Chenal

IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Anyone with technical questions regarding IRS rear axles had better ask now before Jay forgets all that he has learned.........

Just kidding.  Jay takes notes on all of this stuff.  He just can't remember where he puts them.
Ed
faizanmazhar00

Re: IRS Stub Axle #21 Spacer

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

Old-Towd wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:46 pm Buggy Buddys need help I'm not sure witch way the #21 spacer ( the outer spacer close to brake drum )  goes on a IRS stub axle it has a beveled edge and depending who I ask I get a different answer and there sure it goes that way.  Here's my thoughts -  

Note the beveled edge needs to be towards the axle nut so when you put on the bearing & oil seal cover the seal will climb on the spacer without cutting it.  That seal rides on that spacer. Sounds great to me , but here's what someone else said - the edge was beveled so it would only contact the inner bearing race and not hit the rollers. It also gives the full width against the drum that way. Now that sounds good to me also I'll have to look at my parts to see if that theory holds water. I seen V.W. shop manuals that are unclear on witch way it goes. looking for proof. 

Anyone with technical questions regarding IRS rear axles had better ask now before Jay forgets all that he has learned.........