Leaking sending unit

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mike-Presley

Leaking sending unit

Post by Mike-Presley »

Anybody have a recommendation on how to seal a leaky electric fuel sending unit. It's a new VDO sender but when I fill the tank up it pools around the sender. My hood is a pain to get off so I haven't actually looked at it yet. I have reached under the hood and splashed in the gas though. It's a stock tank.
Old-Towd

Leaking sending unit

Post by Old-Towd »

Hi, I put two gaskets on my new sender, the way they made it the sender hit the tank before it sealed on the gasket. 

Note how deep the sender is on the left where the gasket sits that why I put two gaskets, works great.

Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
Mike-Presley

Leaking sending unit

Post by Mike-Presley »

I had one like on the left but it didn't check out on the bench. It had erratic readings. Now I am using one like on the right. It reads good on the bench and in the buggy. I'll pull the hood Sunday and go from there. Thanks
Mike-Presley

Leaking sending unit

Post by Mike-Presley »

Pulled the hood today. My sending unit came with crappy little lock washers only. Threw them away and used some neoprene washers with thin flat washers.  Had to steal from gas from my red gas station in the driveway to top off the tank. No leaks, hood is on and no leaks after a short run around town.

ImageImageImage