Manxter Build Shopping List

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
admatian

Post by admatian »

Hi all,

I need your help coming up with a shopping list for everything required to build a new Manxter without a donor bug.  If such a list exists, please let me know.  My priorities include safety, reliability, classic VW sound, and pride in building it.  My kids will ride in it too.  It will need to be street legal too and registered or register-able.

I'd like to think that I can start with a donor bug, but think I need new tube chassis and frame for first priority (safety) and new parts for second priority (reliability).  Also, I'm no mechanic.  So, I'm thinking I'll order the necessary parts for a rolling chassis and ship them to my favorite VW mechanic to assemble.  Then I get a Manxter kit from the Meyers' and assemble the body to the rolling chassis myself at home.  This way I minimize compromising important stuff like brakes, fuel lines, engine/trany mounts, etc. and perhaps get it all done in one summer - quicker than if I tried to assemble the roller myself.  I could do the electrical myself too.

Literally, I'll be going to JC Whittney, Mid American Motorworks, J Bugs, etc and planning this all out for cost and availability before starting.  All parts listed below should be readily available on the web and not require a donor bug.  Please tell me what I'm missing.  

The List (complete kits preferred vs separate parts):

- Manxter 2+2 kit from meyersmanx.com
- tube chassis from manxchassis.com
- seats from PRPseats.com

- rear IRS suspension (need details on what to buy)
- adjustable ball joint front axle (need details on what to buy)
- adjustable rear spring plates (need details on what to buy)
- transmission straps (need details on what to buy)
- disk brake system (need details on what to buy)
- transmission (opinions on what to use appreciated)
- shocks (opinions on what to use appreciated)
- steering components (need details on what to buy)
- anything else needed to complete front end
- clutch system (need details on what to buy)
- shift handle (need details on what to buy)
- emergency brake system (need details on what to buy)
- engine (need details on what to buy)
- exhaust (need details on what to buy)
- ignition (need details on what to buy)
- electrical system (need details on what to buy)
- fuel system (need details on what to buy)
- accelerator system (need details on what to buy)
- gauges (need details on what to buy)

Direct links to complete kits much appreciated!  (example: "complete front end" if that exists)

Thanks,
Dave
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Dave,
Books could be written regarding the questions you asked.  You'll find many different opinions about building a buggy and what parts to use. New parts are not necessarily the best parts.  You may want to just mimic a buggy build that generally appeals to you or follow the suggestions of one or two authorities you trust.  I don't wish to discourage you but you're starting a project that has a substantial learning curve even if you're not doing all the work involved. 

Good Luck.
Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed