New Steering Wheel Clearance

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

So I am finally replacing the old, torn up steering wheel on the buggy.  I got a replacement wheel by Grant with the installation kit specific to the Beetle.  I have a '66 hollow steering shaft with a '62 turn signal/high beam switch on the end of the steering column.  I installed the turn signal cancellation ring onto the end of the new splined fitting just as the directions indicated.  Now, the new nylon screws that attach the cancellation ring bottom out against the face of the turn signal switch housing (and will wear out quickly with constant steering input), and the new cowling rubs against the outer edge of the switch housing.  All I need is about 1/8th of an inch clearance for it to work.  Has anyone run across this issue before when installing a Grant steering wheel and what did you do about it?
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey Mike Z. One of the local Baja guys had the same or very similar situation. He pulled his steering column & cut about 3/16" off of the column housing, which allowed the factory VW 3 wire turn signal switch that slips onto the end of the housing, to drop down just enough to clear the things that were touching it. The steering shaft remained at its normal height. I also believe he cut down the nylon screws for an extra bit of clearance. I'll see if I can get ahold of him to check for sure.
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Good idea Michael. Not too hard to do either. Thanks.
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey Mike... I called Baja Alex, but missed him by a couple days. He works on a oil platform & does the 30 days on, then 30 days off schedule & he just recently started his shift.
I talked to his lovely wife Jennifer & she said that now she is pregnant, Alex recently sold "his" Baja & is looking for a project to build, that all of them can ride in! She said she'll have him call me when he gets a chance.

Your steering column outer tube should be the same as Alex's, so other than removing the column, it shouldn't be too bad of a job. My cousin just said to only remove the steering wheel & turn signal housing & use a hand tubing cutter to remove your 1/8"-3/16", then re-install everything. It should work without removing the column. 
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

I was actually able to move the steering tube down enough that it worked! I got enough clearance that it cleared the cowling and won't rub on the nylon screws. The hard part was crawling upside down and backward to get under the dash to loosen the clamp that holds the column in place. Only issue I have now is that the turn indicator switch is very close to the wheel and my fingers don't fit between them. Was thinking I could use a map gas torch to heat the arm and bend it forward slightly, but only if I can move the wires for the high beam switch out of the way first. Not sure how to do that yet.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I had the same problem with my Superior woodrim wheel but I didn't want to risk damaging the stalk so opted for a 1" spacer, 2" ones are available too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...h=item3a7a20365b&vxp=mtr
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey Mike, about 5 years ago, when my great-nephew was only 2 years old, he was standing in the driver's seat of Xena, driving the "Baja Stand Still 500 Race" & having a blast! I hadn't paid much attention & as I turn around, I see him yank & then push on the turn signal arm & it bent down about 2inches!!! I couldn't believe it!
So I put him in the passenger seat & I climbed into the driver's seat to see what my options were & I figured I was going to be replacing the whole turn signal switch. I decided to see if I could pull up on the arm & bend it back in place, if it broke, I had a brand new one to install! I grabbed the arm & gently started applying pressure pulling it up toward the steering wheel! Low & behold... I got it right back where it needed to be & it was fine!
The arms are fairly soft & flexible, so just be gentle... even though I thought my nephew was going to tear mine off!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

David, that looks like a good option too. Michael, I thought about that, but I know my luck. I broke one off a few years back when I had my hand on the wheel while I was standing outside of the buggy. My hand slipped and went into the switch arm, which snapped right off.