starter vs. battery vs. other

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
admatian

Post by admatian »

Hi all, 

I'm stumped and need help. I have a standard VW 1600cc engine, dual carb setup in my buggy. I run it for good measure every few days, but try not to let it rest for more than 2-3 weeks at a time. For the past few months though it would occasionally require a clutch start so I figured the battery was running low. Now for the past two weeks it ONLY starts with a clutch start if left resting more than a day. So I figured now the battery is dead. Bought a new battery but today before changing it out wondered if it could be the starter. Here's were the confusion starts: 

- battery registering 12.4v (on cold morning) 
- turning on acc power gives good strong lights 
- turning ignition gives one click sound (like a relay or switch clicking on once) but no engine cranking. 
- battery cables and terminal checked and in good condition. 
- found youtube clip on testing starter with voltmeter 
- voltmeter registering 12.4 v at positive terminal of starter with only 0.14V drop upon ignition 
- negative terminal test of battery unable to do to body of starter, registering constant 0.0V even upon ignition (not sure if I'm doing something wrong here). 
- able to then clutch start buggy, run it couple times around block, turn off engine, and then restart immediately without any issues. 
- let it rest for 10 min, test start again, starts right up and sounds great. 

If it's the battery it should be showing less than 12.4v, right? So I figure it's not that. If it's the starter it shouldn't re-start after running it around the block. I'm stumped, but admittedly new to mechanics. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

You may want to start here..... http://www.vw-resource.com/starter.html 
Ed
admatian

Post by admatian »

Good link.  I'll check it out.  Thanks Ed.

Dave
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

The battery could have a poor internal connection, it will show good voltage but not be able to carry the amperage needed to turn the engine over. I've had several AC Delco batteries do this to me in the past so I quit using them.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
admatian

Post by admatian »

Interesting, thanks for sharing Lori Ann and Mike. My suspicions are on a faulty battery (maybe because that's also the easiest to fix!). I'll have to rule that out.

Thanks,

Dave
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Make sure all your connections are tight. Also, The starter solenoid could be going out. If nothing else works, try replacing that.

One thing you could also do is put a battery disconnect on the negative terminal of the battery. That would prevent any drain on the battery when the buggy is not in use. I have one of the green top disconnects (from J.C. Whitney) and we are still using the same battery that came on the buggy in 2000! Twist the knob to connect the battery, and it starts right up every time.
tahoenian

Post by tahoenian »

I had a similar issue earlier this summer, and ended up getting a new battery...still was spotty.  Lights were bright, battery was good, but go to start it and nothing, no clicks, nothng.

So I layed a screwdriver across the starter connections, it turned, and then across the solenoid connections, it turned.  seems like maybe it was jammed.  Havent have a problem since...but time will tell, and I am prepared to replace those parts.
Tahoenian

1965 Manx SquareTail (it may be '66...)
Mike1991

Post by Mike1991 »

Strange as this sounds this worked.  Had the same click no start. After checking battery, cables, fuses, connections at starter in last resort touched a screwdriver to screw holding alternator to generator to check tightness.  Got a spark and car started right up. Decided  to tempt success. Took the alternator loose from generator, cleaned legs on alternator and generator housing, tightened everything up.  Started right up again.  Left well enough alone.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

You have both an alternator & generator on your buggy?  Very interesting
Mike1991

Post by Mike1991 »

Sub regulator for alternator for clarity.  There appears to be a short circuit somewhere besides the buggy.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Thank you for the clarification. 

You know there really are some people who do not know the difference between an alternator and a generator.
admatian

Post by admatian »

Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions. Latest update is that it's been starting up well each morning since my post two days ago. I'm assuming that if it keeps this up then it will pretty much confirm that it was just a low battery and needed to be charged with the couple runs around the block.
Here are though some answers to your questions:
- it's an alternator, not generator
- haven't checked battery voltage while motor running
- haven't checked grounding strap from transaxle to chasis
- haven't needed to do jump from good battery
- haven't done load test on battery and starter
- haven't had time to, well you get the point...
However, on another point, although the buggy is starting, I now shouldn't drive it! I got nice new BF Goodrichs recently. Still got the blue on the whitewall lettering in fact. Took one look at them yesterday and noticed that one of them is bulging. What's the odds of this happening to one guy twice in one year?? (It happened on my Tahoe with a new set of General Crawlers and 4wheel Parts Wholesaler agreed it was a defective tire and swapped it out.) However, I bought the BF G's from Tirecrawler.com. I sent them the pics today and they replied that the inner lip of the tire was torn by the installer, therefore not defective and will not replace. The guy said all this was visible just from the pics. Please comment on your opinion based on the pics.....
Thanks,
Dave

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/972905.jpg

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/972903.jpg

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/972904.jpg
Last edited by admatian on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Remove the tire from the wheel and you'll know if he's right or wrong.
Ed