Dual fuel pumps

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
towd-dude

Dual fuel pumps

Post by towd-dude »

Yesterday I noticed this 1962 Chrysler 300 stalled in front of my house with the hood up. So I mosy out to see if I could be of some assistance. The owner says he thinks the fuel pump failed. He's running electrical and  mechanical pumps. So we check the electrical one and sure enough nothing, then we check the mechanical one and it's pumping fuel. Then the wrecker shows up and off he goes on the hook. I never knew if the car would start or not. It seems I remember this setup being used many years ago (in Hi-School). Since I've recently been plagued with fuel pump problems on the Burro I was wondering if anyone has successfully used this setup on a VW. It appears the electric will pump through the mechanical one but the mechanical one won't suck through the electrical one ??

Bob
Last edited by towd-dude on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZAIRCOOLED

Dual fuel pumps

Post by AZAIRCOOLED »

I have a customer with a Baja that wanted a dual fuel pump setup. It has the regular  VW mechanical pump and one of the little square electrical pumps. It seems to work fine with the mechanical pump and the electric pump turned off. Apparently able to suck through the electric pump OK even when shut off...