Filling Hole In Hood???

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
ManxManiac

Filling Hole In Hood???

Post by ManxManiac »

There are some folks on this site that are fantastic at fiberglassing holes in buggy bodies & I'm sure other f/g toys as well!
My question is for those that seem to make doing this 'glass work look so easy!

I'm getting close to the point of removing the hood on "Xena" & installing her new gas tank & I would like to fill the old hole in the hood, that the stock location filler neck poked through, near the left headlight. My new tank (68 & newer style) will have its "factory fill hole" plugged & a new one installed on top of the area just above the plugged stock one (on the right side of the hood).
The hole in the hood is about 4" in diameter. The left half of the hole is where the hood curves.

What would be the best way for a newbie/novice like me to fill it???
Do I put something on the underside of the hood so the new resin & glass won't fall thru, if so, what???
Would it be best to use 'glass cloth or kitty hair, a combination of or ???
Should I make some sort of a patch to help fill the hole???
I already know to taper the inside & outside edges of the hole & maybe back away from the edge of the hole a 1/4"-3/8".

I am amazed at the restoration some of you have performed on the rear fenders, back of the body & other places that needed f/g repair!
I haven't worked with f/g much, but I am confident I can do it!

Directions & photos will be much appreciated!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Ed-Chenal

Filling Hole In Hood???

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Mike-Presley

Filling Hole In Hood???

Post by Mike-Presley »

Not an expert by far, but I did my own glass work. The hood had a large chrome plastic gas cap which may have come from J C Whitney many years ago. I redid the fuel tank neck and got a small gas cap which screws too the hood and attaches to the filler neck with hose. I started by scuffing both the inner and outer areas of the hood to rough up and remove the glaze. I made a cardboard cutout the size of the hole, covered it with wax paper and duct taped it on the outside of the hood. Started laying squares of cloth on the insistence of the hood, scuffing the surface between layers. Each layer was a little larger than the last. Four layers in all. The cardboard plug lifted right off the outside with the wax paper. Made some round pieces of cloth and layered them in. Then a couple of square patches on top. Sanded everything down and drilled a much smaller hole for the cap. I borrowed one of my wife's cutting wheels and a small cutting board from her sewing room to cut the cloth. Was told to replace them and never bring them in the house again.

ImageImage
Last edited by Mike-Presley on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CairoManx

Filling Hole In Hood???

Post by CairoManx »

Here's a good thread on the Samba showing how to by Vince of SC

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=515365
surfnc

Filling Hole In Hood???

Post by surfnc »

Hers is a thread that might help you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... t=#2263025
Vince
ManxManiac

Filling Hole In Hood???

Post by ManxManiac »

A great big "THANK YOU" to all for the info!

Vince... that info/link is perfect, exactly what I was looking for!

The hood will be off, so it should be easier to work with!
I'm not much of a camera guy, but I'm going to try & take photos to document everything!

Thanks again!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22