Safety Equipment

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
vincent9993

Safety Equipment

Post by vincent9993 »

Here's a quick attempt of a checklist. 

LET'S BE CLEAR HERE, I'M NOT SUGGESTING THIS CHECKLIST BE MADE INTO A PROCEDURE THAT IS POLICED OR CHECKED BY THE CLUB.

I'm more of the view that this should be a self assesment that each member is responsible for and adheres to when deciding to go on a run.  I think it is a great idea to be proactive about this kind of thing BEFORE some unfortunate event happens.  Of course, there will always be risks involved with this kind of activity and I think everyone recognizes this.  As popularity groes, new members may not be aware of what it takes to go on one of these runs (we did'nt).

I left the rollbar/roll cage out because I don't know how to address it. 

Security

· BATTERY: securely mounted
· BRAKE FLUID: clean, full
· BRAKE LIGHTS: working properly
· BRAKE PEDAL: firm
· CB RADIOS: required, handheld portable acceptable
· FIRE EXTINGUISHER: recommended, if present must be full and in working condition
· FUEL LINES: no leaks, pinching
· GLASS: no dangerous cracks
· GPS OR MAPS: recommended
· HAND BRAKE: working properly
· SEAT BELTS: must meet or exceed D.O.T. requirements for origin of registration
· SKID PLATE: recommended, mandatory for extreme runs
· STEERING: no excessive play
· THROTTLE LINKAGE: not sticking, free travel, return spring good
· TIE RODS: no play
· WHEELS: torqued to specification, if adaptors are used must be checked as well
· COMMON SENSE: required
Convenience

· FOOD/WATER: highly recommended
· GAS: full tank of recent fuel (year old fuel goes bad)
· TIRES: drop air pressure to recommended PSI before start of run
· TOPS: canvas or hard top
Last edited by vincent9993 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
croakintowd

Safety Equipment

Post by croakintowd »

I think it would be OK to start with a list of required equipment on the run announcement mailer to the members. I don't think it's unreasonable to say a Roll bar, E Brake, Seat belts, Bash plate, or whatever are required. If folks know the requirements beforehand, they should be able to prepare. If someone wants to run without the equipment, however tragic, I think the club has done its "Due Diligence". If someone knows what to do and does otherwise, the consequences should be on them. I don't think it's the best solution, but you can't force folks to be safe....It is foolish to push your luck, but some folks live that way, I guess.

Serious injury or death might be the result of the their poor decision making. It's a shame,but most regulations are made to focus on the folks who might not otherwise conform to particular standards......

Vincent, I like your list