Venturi ring?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mike-Presley

Venturi ring?

Post by Mike-Presley »

Has anyone tried a Venturi ring from awesome powdercoat? They say the engine will run cooler, which would be nice out here in the 110+ summer time.
5150bossman

Venturi ring?

Post by 5150bossman »

I would be interested to see if it works.  Their anecdotal accounts sound good, but is there any real R&D behind it?  Seems to me that it would be more of a restriction at the intake.  The increased air velocity would only be directly through the venturi opening.  Once inside, it would be reduced back to normal as the airstream expands back to fill the volume of the open space inside the shroud.  I would think that you would get better cooling by having all the cooling fins inside as VW designed it, and plug all the leaks to make it as efficient as possible.  

By all means though, give it a try.  I am open to the results.

ImageImage
ManxManiac

Venturi ring?

Post by ManxManiac »

The VW engineers came up with the idea of the venturi ring. They felt it worked well enough, that it was added to the air intake of the fan shroud, on all of the Type 1 Beetles imported to the USA from about 1975 to 1979 (75-77 Standard Beetle & 75-79 Super Beetle). I'm not sure if it was used on the Mexican Beetles or any sold elsewhere in the world.
I was shown a "service bulletin" type notice from VW that referred to the ring & the fact that it should not be permanently removed/left off of the fan shroud.
It would probably work/help on any VW fan shroud, but I believe the newer (75 up) shrouds were a bit different inside too. 
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22