Scat 36HP shroud with Doghouse

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
croakintowd

Post by croakintowd »

Hello folks,
    I was fooling around with the buggy trying to swap from a single carb to dual carbs (Success has recently been achieved!). Part of the "remodel" entailed replacing the wide 40 HP shroud with the rounded 36 HP shroud. I bought a Scat unit. I stuck it all on the engine and fired it up. For some reason I was compelled to check how much air was exiting the Oil Cooler. I was surprised to find that very little air was blowing through the Oil Cooler......So, I started checking for the obvious. In feeling for air leaks, I found a lot of air being blown out the bottom of the shroud, just below the Oil Cooler........
   So, I pulled the shroud off and inverted it in a vice. I then slid a spare oil cooler and angle adapter in the proper place. I found that there was a pretty good sized gap between the intake side of the oil cooler and the ducting from the shroud......I had my Hoover Bit in place, but it didn't even begin to fill the gap. I'd say that the gap was about 1/2" to 3/4" wide. So, I fashioned a little piece of sheet metal and fastened it to the shroud with three staggered Pop Rivets, and then bent it and shaped it until it fit close to the Hoover Bit.
   That night I was surfing the I-Net, and found a website called "Awesome Powdercoat". (Google it). The guy has a pretty good site and has a lot of info about keeping your engine cool. He has pictures, parts, and a lot of advice on his site. He also sells a modified Hoover Bit for the Scat Shroud.
   If you have a Scat 36HP Shroud with a doghouse oil cooler, I highly recommend you pull it and add the little piece of metal. Tin snips, and a Pop Rivet tool is all you need. At least check to see if very much air is being shoved through the cooler....Check out the website also, there's some interesting reading and advice there.       
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Thanks Richard.
Since I have a Scat Fan Shroud, I think I may have the same problem.
Here are two links to the site. The first deals with the Hoover Bit and gap. The second shows the cooling tin.

www.awesomepowdercoat.com/hoover_bits.html  

www.awesomepowdercoat.com/products.html   

Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
croakintowd

Post by croakintowd »

Thanks for posting the links, Ed. The pix are worth 1,000 words!