Weber Jet swap?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
croakintowd

Weber Jet swap?

Post by croakintowd »

I'm pretty good at harebrained ideas, so here's one...............I have a pair of Weber IDF 40's. They are jetted to be used in a dual configuration. I want to run singles, so I'm going to have to re-jet the ones I have. If you have some carbs which are jetted for singles, and you want to run them as duals, Maybe we could do "bidness". I think I need a few pump jets, a main, an air correction, and maybe another one.
  I have F11 Emulsion tubes, so I'll keep those......

Does this dopey idea appeal to anyone?

Or if you have a few jets you want to sell outright, that would be OK too.

If not, I'll be forced to deal with those evil jet sellers on the internet.......................LOL

(Tryin' to get the Tow'd ready for Lone Pine!)     
manxter26

Weber Jet swap?

Post by manxter26 »

Richard,

I went the other way with some IDF 44's. I had two single set-ups that I rejetted to the dual configuration. I'm sure that I've got all of the old stuff if you have specific numbers. Venturis would be different but I think alot of the other is the same. Let me know what you need.

Jay
croakintowd

Weber Jet swap?

Post by croakintowd »

Hi Jay,
   As it turns out, Ed Chenal spoke with a mechanic friend of his, on my behalf, about running the IDF's in a single configuration.....He mentioned that it might not work too well, as I most likely would end up with an off idle stumble. Well, that's what I am trying to cure. I have a Weber progressive on there now (That is really worn out), and thought the IDF would be the fix......Apparently, not so.
   So I am going to go with the dual IDF's to see how they work. I was lucky enough to find a set of Italian IDF's that were used, but mostly stored for a long time.....for cheap....
   The jets I have in there now will work for starters, I think....But as adjustments are made, I may need to make a change or two I'll keep you in mind.

Thanks for your help and response!

dcamomanx

Weber Jet swap?

Post by dcamomanx »

Richard,

I have had good luck running a single weber on the manxter for the past few years. Everyone told me that it wouldn't work well but I had it and wanted to try it. It's a 40idf on a cb performance manifold with the heat risers connected. I followed the jetting suggested in cb performace's weber manual. It did take a few different jets to get it right but it works well. I haven't noticed any off idle flat spot and it works great off road. I did add the cb jet drs and they have a float extension kit. The part that helped get the idle down and the flat spot gone was drilling a small hole (1.7 mm) in the butterflys which allowed some more air by them when there closed and let the idle jets actually work and be adjustable. I also increased the pump jet size to get more fuel right off idle. The engine idles well and pulls great to about 5500 rpm. I still get fine gunk in the idle jets sometimes but that happens to all weber. Plus I really haven't had to adjust them once they were set up. I haven't even had to change the jets size from sea level to going up to big bear or the luaral lakes in mammoth.

The engine is a 2054 with 110 engel cam and stock heads.

Here are the jets I'm running

Venturi 28mm main gas 1.5 main a/c 1.6 e/tube f8 idle 70 pump jet .00

Doran
croakintowd

Weber Jet swap?

Post by croakintowd »

Hi Doran,
   Thanks for the info.I have already ordered most of the stuff I need to hook up the duals..........I appreciate the info, and have added your jet info to my weber "diary".....