what year ????

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
ManxManiac

what year ????

Post by ManxManiac »

Bob Kornoff's (Towd Dude) #5 Classic Signature Manx & John Mederios' (Lucky Charm) Classic Signature Manx were the only ones molded in that solid, non-metalflake green, however.... John had a clear with metalflake sprayed on his, thereby changing its look completely.
There were & are older Manxes that were done in a true metalflake green that is very similar to their two Classics.
Note - John still has his & Bob never built his & sold it.
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

Joe,

What is the color on Bob's Manx in Mesa?  I don't know what handle he goes by on the forum.

Mike
DIESELDOOG

what year ????

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Bob's Manx is Emerald Green metalflake.

I do not believe that he has registered on YUKU.

There is a picture of his buggy on the cover of the summer 2012 "Manx Mania"

Here is a picture of his Manx at a run in Texas.

Joe

Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

does anyone have a copy of the original manx assembly manual from the eRly first run of manxes? i am curious if there was a wiring diagram. i pulled the hood on the new manxand the wiring was done well originally but i have a couple of fused nad burned up wires..so am trying to possibly run down a wiring diagram. i did lo at a 66 diagram and it looks similar.

pics on monday.

chris
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Question for you all.
The original builder of the car used bus tail lights. When I got it, someone along the line put bug tail lights on it...using license plate brackets to hold the tail lights in...check the shot !
Anyway, I have my opinion about this but wanted to see what you thought. Bug tail light or bus tail light>
There are pros and cons to both.

bug tail light

ImageUgh...big hole

Next question:
Early license plate light or 1964-67 license plate light? The later light housing was on the car (in two different places for some reason) and is also chrome...although worn
ImageImage

And final question for today:
stock wheel::::my choice

or a wood Formula 500 wheel?
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

Chris,

Somebody was certainly creative with this Manx.  After seeing both taillights I admit being partial to the beetle light rather than the bus one.  I wonder if that bus light is visible from behind at that angle.  

Also partial to the chrome light housing on the floorpan body rather than the popes nose style.   It looks like it fits.

I ran the stock steering wheel on mine until I finally got tired of fighting it trying to get into the car.  I'm tall so a smaller wheel made the car easier to get into with the top on plus more leg room.  

Depending on the period image your looking for it will be interesting to see what you decide.

Interesting shift lever.  Mine is in the stock position and never had a problem with it getting to close to the dash.  

Still having fun?  Does it look like that body will buff out?
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Fun yes...I love this stuff.

I jsut typed a whole thing and then somehow backed out and lost what I had typed. .

Buff out..no. Gelcoat is burned out pretty badly. Although it had been clear coated, the gel coat was gone...

The look will be vintage stock...no whistles and bells 40 HP engine, widened stock rims, I will likely keep the old triumph seats...they are kind of low and comfy but may go back to stock VW seats.. SAdly I sold an old set about 3 years ago assuming I would not build another buggy.

I do have a question for all of you...should I move these questions over to the classic manx build forum. We shold try to keep this thread for old buggies...lost and found...

Before you answer though one more question. The builder drilled the tank mounting holes offset from the suspension mounts..see image

Due to this, the stock z bend brackets will not work UNLESS I drill new holes in the body. I could build a different bracket..One way or the other I will need the dimensions of the z brackets...anyone have a set handy who could measure and sketch them for me? 

The body without the brackets has sagged in the front and has been rubbing the top of the suspension...actually causing a crack in the glass. There is a shot of it somewhere in my album. Regardless, I need to know the dimension of the offset for hte body to the suspension...any help???

Thanks
Chris

dcamomanx

what year ????

Post by dcamomanx »

Chris

For me I like the beetle tail lights with the chrome light. I also like the stock steering wheel, but I like big steering wheels and I'm only 5'6'' so its easy for me to get around it.

As far as the front I woulds make a new set of z brackets that incorparate the exsisting holes, but use a jack to lift the fiberglass up to a close to stock position to restore the space as much as I could.

But thats just me, keep up posted

Doran
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

i to lean to the beetle tail lights...i was just s eeing what you guys thought. re jacking the front up to original position is what i w ill do...but i need to know what that point is...since i do not have thez brackets,i have no reference point. i will probably order a set of brackets from bruce and winnie andq modify from there.

i like the vintage look...so simple.

thanks!

chris
CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

I understand the appreciation for original paint on historic vehicles,
but on more recent stuff, unless you're going for a rat rod look, fill
the excess holes, repair the cracks and cut away opening and shoot on new color and flake with a clear that
looks Pacific deep. Few things are prettier than a brand new metal flake
Meyers Manx
Last edited by CairoManx on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manxdavid

what year ????

Post by manxdavid »

vwmanx wrote:Fun yes...I love this stuff.

I jsut typed a whole thing and then somehow backed out and lost what I had typed. .

Buff out..no. Gelcoat is burned out pretty badly. Although it had been clear coated, the gel coat was gone...

The look will be vintage stock...no whistles and bells 40 HP engine, widened stock rims, I will likely keep the old triumph seats...they are kind of low and comfy but may go back to stock VW seats.. SAdly I sold an old set about 3 years ago assuming I would not build another buggy.

I do have a question for all of you...should I move these questions over to the classic manx build forum. We shold try to keep this thread for old buggies...lost and found...

Before you answer though one more question. The builder drilled the tank mounting holes offset from the suspension mounts..see image

Due to this, the stock z bend brackets will not work UNLESS I drill new holes in the body. I could build a different bracket..One way or the other I will need the dimensions of the z brackets...anyone have a set handy who could measure and sketch them for me? 

The body without the brackets has sagged in the front and has been rubbing the top of the suspension...actually causing a crack in the glass. There is a shot of it somewhere in my album. Regardless, I need to know the dimension of the offset for hte body to the suspension...any help???

Thanks
Chris

I would just fit the new front body bracket as it should be drilling a new hole on the body for it. The original hole could be filled or just left as it would be out of site anyway.

I'm also with CairoManx on repairing the holes and re-painting the shell in as close to the original flake color as possible.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

I will ultimately reflake the car...I will have to save some money up for that process. The goal now is to get it mechanically back in order. I will be glassing the rear holes in under the tail lights and will be taking a mold off of the monocoque for the air cleaner opening. Probably will be doing this in the next week or so. 

Since the car was hand laid up, the backside of the glass is a nice woven fabric. I am going to have to get some to match the weave and just repair the areas. Since the builder used the license brackets, the body actually was warped where the bracket was pulled tight. ..cannot really show that in a picture. I am hoping that it will relax now that I have removed the tail lights.

On another note, I have been in the process of removing the extra wiring and repairing some melted wires. I had to add in a stop light wire...not sure whey but they ran the stop light wire from the master cylinder inside the car under the floor mat. I added that back into the harness. 

Chris

CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

I can't tell 100%, but this might be another

http://phoenix.craigslist.../evl/pts/3079565688.html
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

Pictures of the latest square back located.

Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Mike1991 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

WOW awesome. Mike, did you pick it up?

Like the dog said..ruff!

It looks like someone got really happy with the drill on the back area...holy cow! Tons of holes.

Chris