what year ????

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
tahoenian

what year ????

Post by tahoenian »

I look forward to seeing that article. An important effort. and fun!
Tahoenian

1965 Manx SquareTail (it may be '66...)
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Hi guys,

I have a question for you regarding my "new" manx. I have the engine out and sighting the rear end against the transmission, the centerline of the license light and aircleaner cut out is shifted over about 1 inch over to the drivers side of the body. Additionally, the left side of the rear part of the body is lower than the right side. This is not due to the swingaxle camber. The body itself appears to be shifted to the left and down. When measuring from the top of the shock tower, the bottom of the rear "seat" area is about 1/2 inch closer to the to of the shock tower than the passenger side.

There are no cracks, wrecks or repairs made to the body.

The body is centered on the pan and the measurement of the support horns seems to be correct front to back...

Any thoughts or ideas?

Bill, if you read this, do you know if your body is a little crooked?

Thanks

Chris
Last edited by vwmanx on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what year ????

Post by 1856 »

Chris this is not unusual ... Our last build was a Manx 2 we built the tube chassis on a frame jig to assure squareness and alignment. When we sit the body on the tacked frame we learned in frustration the body was 3/4'" out of square and more then  1/2" higher on the left side then the right ... Who said life was perfect?
MnC
Last edited by 1856 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

Chris

I have the same issue with my early square back. My body is 1/2 inch lower on the left and 1 inch to the left of center also. It has always been that way and I had thought they just took it out of the mold before it had fully cured to get the next body done since they only supposedly had the one mold at the time. The 1/2 inch drop on the left is more obvious from the back since the full top is no longer on. Another thing is the right rear tire sticks out about 1 inch more than the left from the fender. That would be explained if the body had sagged 1 inch to the left and down.

The things we learn. Keep the posts and pictures coming. Most interesting.
manxdavid

what year ????

Post by manxdavid »

Every Manx body and most clones that I've come across have been 1" to left of center and slightly twisted. I've always just assumed that Bruce was more of an artist than an engineer...Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Mike-Presley

what year ????

Post by Mike-Presley »

You guys need to get out more. At 60mph in a pack of Manx's who will notice or care. Just have fun.
ManxManiac

what year ????

Post by ManxManiac »

Our Meyers Manx "Xena", M1609C8S22 is the same way, slightly tweaked & off-center! But, at 70 mph, running all by ourselves, no one would notice! Image And "yes" we have lots of "as the Beach boys sang... "FUN FUN FUN"!!! Image
I have noticed a number of non-Meyers Manx bodies that actually have the same tweak & off-center.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
DIESELDOOG

what year ????

Post by DIESELDOOG »

When I assembled my Manxter it was 7/8" out of square.  My Manx was out of square about an inch, and the KickOut is the same.  Must be part of the genetics/DNA of the product line.

I know it sure makes the assembly fun.