what year ????

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

When we built our Manx in 68 we put a new Sidewinder on it but the curve
of the #3 header pipe didn't even come close to the tire sump anyway. I
thought it might have been to clear the type of exhaust they sold
before the Sidewinder, but the bump in the fiberglass looks like it was
meant to clear a pipe that ran below the valve cover, not above like on
the ones Meyers sold. Its kind of a mystery.

BTW Chris, I see your Manx has one of the early front bumpers! I found a bumper myself a while back. Now I need to find a first generation floorpan Manx to put it on.
Last edited by CairoManx on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

ImageWhen we built our Manx in 68 we put a new Sidewinder on it but the curve
of the #3 header pipe didn't even come close to the tire sump anyway. I
thought it might have been to clear the type of exhaust they sold
before the Sidewinder, but the bump in the fiberglass looks like it was
meant to clear a pipe that ran below the valve cover, not above like on
the ones Meyers sold. Its kind of a mystery.

BTW Chris, I see your Manx has one of the early front bumpers! I found a
bumper myself a while back. Now I need to find a first generation
floorpan Manx to put it on. I also found one of the turning brakes right
in the Samba want ads. It was listed as a homemade parking brake or
something. I know Crown sold the exact same type of turning brake, I've
seen their ad. I'm not 100% sure but I think they may have been who made
them.

Last edited by CairoManx on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Nelson,A friend of mine sketched the turning brake handles for me off of his OG manx. I intend to make some eventually...I also have a set of chromed turning brake handles...although they are much more basic than the Manx style. I will photograph.

is there a thread for Manx accessories? It would be great to start one where we could place actual photos of these items versus the photos from advertisements. 

Nice find for the front bumper...that is quite a find considering that probably the vast majority of them have been tossed, damaged or both.

I was fortunate that it was on the car.

Chris

CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

I don't think there were very many of the early ones made/sold originally anyway. The mounting brackets were pretty complex formed heavy gauge pieces but the single bumper tube was only 3/4". The later bumpers were simpler and stronger. The mounting brackets were just two flat tabs you welded to the torsion bar and the bumper tubes were 1".

It gave me the idea that a good way to make a replacement bumper would be to put a piece of close fitting mild tube inside some DOM stainless before its bent.
ManxManiac

what year ????

Post by ManxManiac »

It's always been my understanding that the bump in the tire well on Manx 1 bodies was to clear the left rear brake hose bracket (where the hose & the hard line connect) that is on the swingaxle axle tube.
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

Yes, looking at it that would seem to make much more sense.
towd-dude

what year ????

Post by towd-dude »

Gee whiz info. The solid green Classic in the above photo is mine (or was) and it's #5. It was Shamrock Green on Bruce's color chart. Bruce only made 2 green siggies. The other had metal flake added to the gel-coat and is indeed Lucky Charms which resides in Hawaii. I don't know how the color was titled Shamrock Green it should have been called U.S. Dept of Forestry Green.......

Bob
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

towd dude wrote:Gee whiz info. The solid green Classic in the above photo is mine (or was) and it's #5. It was Shamrock Green on Bruce's color chart. Bruce only made 2 green siggies. The other had metal flake added to the gel-coat and is indeed Lucky Charms which resides in Hawaii. I don't know how the color was titled Shamrock Green it should have been called U.S. Dept of Forestry Green.......

Bob

my bad....i thought that was luckycharms...thanks for the correction....i took that picture as i loved the color.
GotManx

what year ????

Post by GotManx »

Sorry - Not to get off topic, but there is a least one more green metalflake Classic.  This is my father in laws car, #27, and it is the original green metalflake that Bruce and Winnie offered.

Now back to the cooler old Manxes...
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

There was a post in the Dune Buggy Tech Center by MyBlueBuggy labeled "Deciphering a Meyers Manx serial number"  3/8/11  that listed Manx paint colors. 

On the list are 2 greens in solid colors:  31S Lime Green, 32S Dark Green.
and 3 greens in metal flake. 19E Spring Green, 21E River Green, 23E Sea Green. 

Interesting reading but does not say which colors may have been on pre-serial number cars after the Mono bodies.   I would thing fewer or different  colors than on the list is a possibility.  Still more questions than answers on pre-serial numbered square back cars.

CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

The standard colors I've seen offered in the catalog, at least prior to
the Manx 2, are Yuma Yellow, Corinthian White, Royal Blue, Lime Green
and Tangerine Red. The metalflakes are Golden Orange, Royal Blue,
Brilliant Red, Fuscia and Emerald Green.

I'ts not clear in the tech center post whether all the colors listed
were specifically offered by B.F. Meyers or is just everything that was
in the Meadowbrook flake catalog.

Even so I have to admit, neither Glenn Knight's nor SLW 511, look golden orange to me
Last edited by CairoManx on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Agreed re the colors. One thing I noted is that the red metalflake on my buggy is very fine. The meadowbrook chart (circa 2003) I have from them has much larger flake. I know from a very knowledgeable source that Meadowbrook changed over from Aluminum flake to Polyester flake in the last 4 years. 

Chris

DIESELDOOG

what year ????

Post by DIESELDOOG »

There was also a color called "Cold Fire".  It is a lime green metal flake that was available on the early no tag series with the the large rectangle opening in the back. 

Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

All,

I was looking closely at my car last night.Mine does not have the blocks which were glassed in on later bodies which were used to knock the body out of the mold. I did find where they used air to blow the part off of the mold. In the spare tire sump at the very bottom you can see the little square shape. It is the imprint of the piece of tape which was placed over the hole to blow the part off the mold. See the photo I am attaching...forgive the dirty fingernail.

The bigger hole was where someone drilled a drain hole.

ImageImage

CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

They stuck the piece of scotch tape to the mold, over the small hole in the the tire sump mold. The tape left its impression in the gel coat of the body.

I've seen that impression in every Meyers Manx with a spare tire sump I've checked, but I forgot to check the yellow one when I was looking at it. So they must have done it right from the start with the floorpan Manxes.

My circa 1967 Manx which didn't have a tag, didn't have the wood blocks either.