what year ????

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Do the TR3 seats flip forward (as in the seat backbeing hinged?)

Do any of you have a photo of the front fuel tank Z bend brackets for the fuel tank mouunt? There were none mounted to my manx....the rear brackets above the shock towers were there...the roll bar brackets to the rear suspension are not there...due to the pan being the wrong length...the brackets would not fit. I will fabricate some new ones initially but will eventually shorten the pan correctly and make replacement brackets.

Chris
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

ImageImage
Last edited by Mike1991 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

No foil sticker, no installation kit, no bump in tire well to clear exhaust headers.  Look at the installation kit above.  You can make your own parts or get Z bars and back tub to rear shock tower strap from Bruce and Winnie at one time $40 last time I saw a post on them..  Not sure if still available.
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Mike and Nelson,

When you mentioned the bumpout in the spare tire sump, I recalled not seeing one in mine. I reviewed my pictures and I can say for certain there is no bump out area for the header. When did that start?

Yes, I can make the brackets...just was curious what they looked like exactly. I have the rear straps for body...just not the 90 degree bracket for the roll bar (although I really do not like that look).

Chris

Off hand, what would you guys do regarding my rear tail lights. The original builder I guess mounted bus tail lights (mid 60s) and cut large holes for them. Currently there are some beetle tail lights on it. I am almost leaning towards the bus tail lights since the hole is there...and that is what the original builder chose to use.
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

Chris,

Does not hurt to put the bus tail light on and see what they look like.  A picture is worth a 1000 words. 
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

Better picture of NOS mounts

CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

I just wanted to check whether yours didn't have the header clearance bump. The other one I looked at (yellow) didn't have it either. I think its something they added when they made the new molds in the summer of 66.

Chris, all I can say is what I'd do if it were mine. I'd fill the holes, try as well as I could to match the metalflake and color and go with some chrome bug tail lights.

I'll try to find my pictures of the yellow one to see if it had the Z brackets, but I think it did.
manxdavid

what year ????

Post by manxdavid »

Mike1991 wrote:Image

Better picture of NOS mounts

Hey...I've got a set just like that, same kitchen counter top too! Small world eh???lol
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

the new IKEA manx
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Hi guys. Nelson brought up a good point and I am attaching a picture of the no bump sump for reference. Mike 1991, do you have the bump in the sump for the header?Is it possible that this was also transitioned around the time of the extruded frame?

Am also attaching a picture of the monocoque (#4 through # 12 had the same square bump out license mount). Old Red had a raised half round outline around the license plate. I do know that the bumpout did change on the monocoques until the finalized design at Number 4 (aka Quatro) which is the square back bumpout on these early manxes.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

One other quick question: Does this mirror look like the one on the other early manxes? It appears so.

Also, note the relocation of the license plate light.. nice selection of holes. Note that there was one set of holes for I believe a type 3 license light.

Chris

Last edited by vwmanx on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CairoManx

what year ????

Post by CairoManx »

Chris, Those are great pictures, thanks for posting them.

Regarding side view mirrors, I have a picture that will be in my article that shows SLW 511 definitely had a Delswift mirror. Both EMPI and B.F. Meyers & Co. sold them.
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

I do not have a "sump bump" to clear the exhaust header.  There is a good 4-5" of clearance at the bottom and rear of the tire well to the exhaust.  My tire well is identical to the well in your red body picture above.  The only indention is to clear the shock tower.  Folks used to mount the spare tire bracket on that indention.  There is a picture of the spare tire mount and the hold down bolt on the Manx Accessory board display in the above pictures.   If you can see my album there is a picture of the spare tire battery wells on my buggy.

I have never seen a "sump bump"for an exhaust on any Manx body with a tire well.  If there is a picture of one please post it.   I'm now curious. 
vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

This shot is from NCSURF (vince) on the Samba thread where he is restoring a metalflake manx. See his thread under Ricks Restoration...very informative for restorations.

Hi Mike. Please see the attached shots. This is a signature manx...I think it is Luckycharms car...cannot remember exactly. There were not many of these emerald Green Signatures made.Regardless, look in the spare tire sump...you can JUST make out a little bumped area in the left portion of the sump. That is for header clearance as Nelson mentioned. The second shot is a manx in primer...this shot clearly shows the bumped area in the sump. Note that this is a circa 1969 body..no tag but with the big license bumpout. 

ImageImage

Last edited by vwmanx on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike1991

what year ????

Post by Mike1991 »

Chris 

Interesting pictures.  Is there some type engine / exhaust combination that requires that sump bump.  I have a ton of clearance in that area.

vwmanx

what year ????

Post by vwmanx »

Mike,

I do not know the answer to your question. I know that my header was pretty close on a manx clone (exact body with sump and sump bump). The header system was a chrome unit. Maybe someone could ask Bruce specifically?

Chris