Adjustable irs spring plates

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
YellowSafari

Adjustable irs spring plates

Post by YellowSafari »

So is there any reason SwayAway adjustable spring plates shouldn't be used on an off road buggy ?
jsturtlebuggy

Re: Adjustable irs spring plates

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I have been using adjustable springs on my buggies for many years without any problems. A lot easier to adjust then removing and resetting the torsion bars.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Mike-Presley

Post by Mike-Presley »

I’ve got friends who have been using them for years with no problems. You might consider a torsion adjuster also if you’re at that point in a build. I went to 3x3 arms and torsion adjuster. Setting the droop was real nice.
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

I've also used adjustable spring plates with no issues. I prefer the center torsion adjuster, but that is a lot more fabrication work.
YellowSafari

Post by YellowSafari »

Thanks for the replies. I mentioned I was going to shorter torsion bars, and adjustable spring plates, and some one piped up with not to use them on an off road vehicle. When asked why they couldn't back it up.

Continuing as planned 8)
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

We swapped out the longer torsion bars on our off-road buggy for the shorter ones some years ago. While we have not had any issues, I have also been told that the shorter bars tend to fail more in one way or another when used in any significant off-road capacity due to their repeated greater twist over that shorter length.