Torque spec

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
chatdgouttiere

Torque spec

Post by chatdgouttiere »

I'm looking for the torque spec of this bolt as you see on this pic, framed by the red star.
IMG_20220717_160804331___.jpg
IMG_20220717_160804331___.jpg (773.99 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
Just to set the context in case in wouldn't be obvious, that bolt is at the end of that shaft pointed at by the green arrow, which goes straight to the torsion bar. One on each side of the transmission.

Thing is, one side is loose, and I've been looking without success for the torque spec. But not only that, I was only able to turn it in a little more and it wouldn't turn no more, while there is still enough room for the washer to move freely :?: :?: :?:

I see two pictures in the shop manual of my '68 Beetle where I can see this bolt, but nowhere in the book do they mention anything about it (as far as I know anyway).
Thanks!
Dan
Mike-Presley

Re: Torque spec

Post by Mike-Presley »

Rob and Dave’s lists the torque at 165 ft/lbs. I haven’t used a torque wrench but I crank them tight as hell.
chatdgouttiere

Re: Torque spec

Post by chatdgouttiere »

Yeah! At 165 ft/lbs, you don't even need a troque wrench! It is tight as hell :lolno:
Yeah, I've got Rob and Dave's torque list, but not knowing what this bolt was called... so I guess that's the one called "Transmission Carrier Bolt". Makes sense, but not obvious.
Anyway, thanks for pointing that out!
Looks like you need to lift up the rear end to torque that much! Ah, dreaming again of that car lift for the garage...
Thanks Mike-Presley!