Sand Tire and Rim Selection

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
BradenEP1968

Sand Tire and Rim Selection

Post by BradenEP1968 »

I’m and planning to take my Classic Manx to Glamis this year and need front and rear tires. I have street tires on it now so planning to get new rims as well. Can anyone recommend tires & tire sizes for front sand tire and paddles? I have 5 lug Chevy bolt pattern on the car already so rim selection is endless just not sure of the rim offset.

Thanks,
Braden
GotManx

Re: Sand Tire and Rim Selection

Post by GotManx »

Here are a couple of good options for you:

For a stock to up to 2000cc engine, I would use a 14.50x15 desert track on a 10" rim:
https://www.kartek.com/parts/sand-tires ... ridge.html

If you have a little bigger engine, 2000cc+, the 13.00x15 with a #1 paddle on a 12" rim works well:
https://www.kartek.com/parts/sand-tires ... 5-no1.html

For offset on rims, get the minimum backspace (like 2") to get you more clearance.

My Manxter with 13.00x15 paddles on custom CMS rims:

BradenEP1968

Post by BradenEP1968 »

This is great information and detail. Thank you.

I am not sure what my engine size is, might be only a 1600. Will that be enough for paddles?
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

The Desert Tracks work real well with a smaller engine. They give you good floatation and traction without digging in too much.
BradenEP1968

Post by BradenEP1968 »

Thank you for the advice.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Also, the Desert Traks have a couple of ribs down the center that allow you to drive on hard pack or the street without beating you up or destroying your paddles. Not DOT compliant for street driving, but at least you can get from the parking lot to the sand without a problem. And the paddles aren't as tall as a dedicated paddle tire, but for something like a dune buggy, they are perfect.