Steering column

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
stevemac

Steering column

Post by stevemac »

Hi Guys,
has anyone used an aftermarket steering column to replace the original VW one? I am trying to get a column that has the auto turn off for the blinkers and horn and tilt. I have looked at Flaming River but wanted to know how these would connect to the rag joint. Is there a conversion kit?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Steve
Steve Mac
Boston MA
rzeller

Re: Steering column

Post by rzeller »

stevemac wrote:Hi Guys,
has anyone used an aftermarket steering column to replace the original VW one? I am trying to get a column that has the auto turn off for the blinkers and horn and tilt. I have looked at Flaming River but wanted to know how these would connect to the rag joint. Is there a conversion kit?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Steve
Steve,

Have a look at my thread (but specifically here: https://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0&start=30). I converted to a Flaming River and would never go back. The wiring is pretty simple, however I did use a Rebel Wire harness in this re-build.

Enjoy,
Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
stevemac

Post by stevemac »

Thanks very much Bud, this was incredibly helpful. So it looks like you had to create your own custom steering box coupler?

Thank you again for all the great info.

Steve
Steve Mac
Boston MA
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

stevemac wrote:Thanks very much Bud, this was incredibly helpful. So it looks like you had to create your own custom steering box coupler?

Thank you again for all the great info.

Steve
We had to modify the coupler due to the splines (count) on the u-joints not matching the steering box coupler splines. I don't know if there are u-joints out there that will mate up with the steering column shaft (splines), the universal shaft (that goes between the u-joint from the steering column and the u-joint that connects to the steering box coupler), but knowing the issue ahead of time might help you decide how to proceed. Although I didn't do the work myself to change the coupler shaft, if you have those skills or access to someone that does, that was the only real modification required. You'll see that the rag joint isn't required, which removes a failure point in the steering system.

The last note/suggestion is to mock everything up as we had some binding with the u-joints when we first put it in. We had to pull the whole shaft toward the cockpit a little to remove the binding. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

I can tell you from an "old man's" perspective, the tilt steering column is the way to go. The only other thing I'd consider is a removable steering wheel, but I don't think they are DOT approved.

Hope all of this info helps.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
stevemac

Post by stevemac »

Thanks Bud. I noticed in your pictures that it was not a straight shaft between the end of the Flaming River shaft and the steering box, thus you had 2 U joints and a short shaft in between.
On mine, the original VW shaft on there now, is a straight shaft between the steering wheel and the rag joint, with no U joints. I agree that I believe the rag joint is not needed.

With that said, if I eliminate the rag joint and put a U joint that accepts the DD end of the FR steering shaft (1 inch DD) on one side and then a 17mm coupling on the other end of the U joint and put the 16mm shaft from the steering box into it and a weld to secure it. I have been looking for a U joint with 1 inch DD on one side and a 16mm 62 spline on the other end but they do not seem to exist.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my solution.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Mac
Boston MA
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Steve,

I'm really not qualified or experienced to comment on your proposed solution/idea - I'll leave that to more experienced fabricators. I will say we set mine up to reduce the angle of the column and height to match the seating position first. Then added the required u-joints and straight shaft piece to fit the position of the steering box without binding. In my application it required two u-joints to get the desired fit and function.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing