Bounty Hunter Transvair emergency brake set up help needed

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
dlyle

Bounty Hunter Transvair emergency brake set up help needed

Post by dlyle »

I've got a Bounty Hunter with the Transvair set up and a 110 HP motor. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the emergency brake. When I got this all the cables were cut.

Does anyone own one of these that can answer some questions for me?
I have both Corvair and VW cables to work with. I can't tell if I use the Corvair cable in the rear and then use the VW cables to tie in to it.

I've got the Corvair cable in there to see what it looks like. It currently runs under the shifter linkage but I assume it need to go over the top since it would act like an arresting wire on an aircraft carrier. Even if it goes over the top it will be real close to the shifter mechanism.

Where do the cables from the front exit the tunnel? This is a Transvair so it is different from a normal VW.

Ideally I'd be able to talk to someone on the phone that has one of these.

thanks in advance!

Doug
Tom-Szwajkos

Re: Bounty Hunter Transvair emergency brake set up help need

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

I have a Transvair Kit on my Meyers Manx. I hated the VW emergency brake lever and had nothing but trouble trying to utilize it with the Corvair e brake cable. You have two choices. 1. You can purchase a Emergency Brake Handle kit from http://www.controlcable.com. It takes some work because you need to remove the VW e-brake mount and weld in a new mounting plate on the tunnel. Approximately 3" wide by 6" long with a rectangular hole cut into it. You mount the new Brake handle assembly to it. Control cable can also supply you with a custom cable and mount that you can hook to the existing Corvair cable that goes between the rear wheels. The arresting cable does run close to the shift lever but I have not had an issue with mine because I also run the Corvair transaxle.

2. Best Solution: You can install the brake handle kit and purchase two new custom e brake cables from Control Cable. The Two cables mount to the new e brake mounting plate. This way you eliminate the old Corvair cable and can run the custom cables anywhere you choose in the tunnel. If you go to the Control Cable web site it has diagrams to show you what to do.