Shifting issue

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
HavasuDen#837

Shifting issue

Post by HavasuDen#837 »

I have a shifting problem. It will not stay in 4th gear unless I hold the shifter, also I can go into reverse without lifting the lock out on the shifter. The shifter is a SCAT and I was told it was the shifter but I removed it and seems to work as it should, and I cannot go to reverse without lifting the lockout. My question is can it be the shifting cable, or the transmission or some other item. I'd like to get it running again soon to go to the Laughlin meet. I hope someone out there can help. Thank you
az aircooled

Re: Shifting issue

Post by az aircooled »

Hi, Sounds like you may have 2 seperate problems. If you have to hold the shifter to keep in a gear, this is usually an internal problem in the transmission. Sometimes this can be a problem with the shifter being out of adjustment or not working correctly. If not fixed it will soon become a problem in the transmission if it continues to pop out of gear. The problem with the reverse lockout is usually an issue with the shifter itself, or possibly an adjustment in the shifter. If you have access to a stock VW shifter you might want to install it and see if it corrects the problem.
Mike-Presley

Post by Mike-Presley »

It could be the shifter adjustment or the plastic bushing in the tunnel under the shifter. Check the joint at the trans also. After that it might be a broken nose cone on the trans or as stated something inside the trans.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

HavesuDen#837, check all that was suggested: then change your trans oil especially if it wasn't done for awhile. If it wasn't done for awhile carefully watch as it drains. If it is clumpy or sludgy it means it wasn't changed in a long time. What happens is: as your trans wears the wear bits build up on the gears not allowing a good mesh, sometimes replacing the bad oil with new fixes the problem. Otherwise, your trans is on its way out. You have time to save up until it fully goes, but it will go. My very first buggy had this same problem. I had to use a bungee cord to hold it in 4th gear. . A trans is going bad when it pops out of any gear and reverse and 4th gear are most common. Use the bungee cord trick while you save for a replacement trans. That is provided you checked out the other suggestion. The John Muir Idiot book addresses this exact problem go read it.