Softening Shocks

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
bill k

Softening Shocks

Post by bill k »

A friend told me that on this Forum he saw a post about softening Buggy shocks by draining the oil and adding a formula of oil back which would soften up the shocks.

Can anyone please lead me to that post, or restate what mix of oil to add back to shocks that have been drained of the original oil?
Chicago Joe

Re: Softening Shocks

Post by Chicago Joe »

Try using the search for your subject.
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

I remember a tech article in one of the early Manx Mania's, probably sometime in the late 90's, where Bruce explained how he drained the oil from shocks and replace it with butane lighter fluid? Maybe? Not totally sure on the replacement oil. I don't know if the early Manx Mania's exist online somewhere.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

bill stiff front ends have been a problem from day 1. if you have a king pin they are stiffer, Bruce recommends removing torsion springs (a major undertaking). if you have a stabilizer bar, remove it. high tire pressure also gives bad ride. a stock worn out shock is recommended. sorry I don't know of the article you refer to. I use a ball joint axle. with stock cheap oil shocks, no sway bar, 18 psi on p225/r15 tires. the ride is fine. never use coil over shocks on the front end. if you buy a buggy with them it is usually to compensate for broken/bent springs, to get the buggy sold. the shock is to reduce rebound of tire bounce only. a stiff front end can be caused by more than just shock absorbers. I know of buggy owners who use weights on the front end as a solution. 5096 king pin with stiff front end and sway bar installed (my first buggy)4360 my current buggy with ball joint, no sway bar, stock cheap oil shocks, wonderful ride. good luck. not all solutions are easy.
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

I'm running 12 psi in all my tires for on and off road. Also, have Bilstien 24-000321 shocks up front on a link pin beam. Great ride in all conditions.
John & Sonya Kieslich